Changing Dawn | Teen Ink

Changing Dawn

By Alomexican BRONZE, Escazu, Other
Alomexican BRONZE, Escazu, Other

It was a windy day, he thought as my memories slowly began to pull inside my head, as a sudden chaos within him occurred and he had lost control over his own thoughts. It had all happened so quickly, so dramatic, people running, screaming, colliding everywhere and then everything was quiet. He had woken up, a sudden pain in his shoulder, he groaned for a couple of seconds before waking up completely. He looked towards the pain source and found himself covered in bandages; a couple of them with some red marks on them and the pain erupted again. He tried moving but the pain was so intense that the only thing he could do was rest and so he did falling into a long sleep.

This time Kevin’s dream took longer to reappear, as if deep in his unconsciousness he knew that this dream would torment him for ever and that he did not want to think back to those dark hours before the world turned into s***. The screams where back, each on of them devastating his heart and piercing it with every new sound that struck him. He wanted so badly to wake up but there was nothing he could do, it had all begun. He can’t move, he doesn’t feel anything but this one sound that is so high pitched that it is clearly inhuman. Diana is shouting at him and he cant understand any of the words she is saying due to the chaos around them but he manages to distinguish one, “run”. A sudden boom breaks his spell and he is off, pulling Diana close to him searching for cover. Outside his dream he is sweating, and every once in a while he jerks up a movement which indicates his profound sleeping, as if he were in a perfect trance of which he will never come out. Inside the violence is eminent, he runs towards his school, crossing the basketball court into the dinning hall. As he looks around he sees bodies lying everywhere and blood on the walls, the sight twists his stomach but there is nothing he can do so he keeps on running. Hallway after hallway he runs desperately to find a safe place but all they see is a kill zone. His muscles are starting to ache due to the tight grip he had on Diana so he loosens a little. They take a minute to catch their breath and see the only man living at the end of the corridor, a soldier. Their short break concluded and they were off to catch up with this man, their only hope.

“Hey! What the f*** is going on here?” said Kevin between breaths as he caught up with the man that had apparently not seen them.

“What are you doing here? All civilians were supposed to have been evacuated an hour ago. Captain, you here me? Captain this is tango niner can anyone copy?” was the only answer that came from this soldier, who appeared to struggle with his radio for a couple minutes. Voices erupted from the radio but non of them make sense to Kevin or Diana who were still in shock for all what they have gone through just minutes earlier.

“Excuse me, can we know what is going on here?” asked Diana after her patience abandoned her, “What the hell were those things? You know those drones that bombarded the school. Why is everyone dead?” she started crying, “What is happening here? I don’t understand and you wont give us answers…”

“Madam I don’t know what is going on out there, I was just parachuted of an airplane and landed hear, my mission is to recover any piece of intelligence and bring it back to base, I was informed that there weren’t supposed to be any civilians left here you were all supposed… to…” he fell into silence.

“Supposed to what goddammit?” I shouted in rage, “Answer me!”

“Supposed to be dead”

“What in the world?” Diana replied, suddenly she went pale and kneeled as if she were going to throw-up.

“Yes, that was what I was told, but if you two are alive then I shall escort you out of the city to the refugee camps. They are a couple miles of the…” the soldier was cut off by a new chaos of sounds and the ground started trembling uncontrollably. “We got to get out of this building,” said the soldier as he took a gun from a dead soldier and handed to Kevin but before opening his fingers he said, “Kid I better hope you know how to use one of these. Look it is easy; then aim and make sure to put the iron sights over the target and pulls the trigger pretty easy huh?” Kevin nodded. “Great lets get moving, hey one last thing, my name is _______.”

No one spoke as they crossed endless hallways, almost as if it were a maze, Kevin thought. This seemed odd, Kevin had been studying in that school for almost all his life and yet he seemed confused by all the turns they were taking until he figured out their escape route. They were headed towards the roof; his train of thought was abruptly stopped when he heard the soldier talk steadily, as if he had not been running the entire trek so far. “The extraction point should be on the hospital, its probably a couple of blocks down the road, it should be easier if we move through the roofs, I don’t know what might still be alive, or if they are still human.”

“Where do you think he is taking us, is it a trap?” asked Diana trying to catch her breath, “You think he is going to kill us?”

“If I had wanted to kill I would have done it from the moment I saw you and I wouldn’t have given the kid the gun… and you might want to speak softer if you mean to speak to your boyfriend in private.” Said _______ in a really irritated voice.

“First of all he is not my boyfriend, he is my best friend and secondly we were just playing volleyball when one of the drones shot several missiles towards the school and one landed right next to Kevin and…” suddenly the privates attenction switched from the path towards Kevin and said, “Woa kid you never said that you had gotten impact from the projectile put you hands in the air! Right now!” he aimed his gun towards Kevin and placed a mask over his head and started speaking through his radio, again neither Diana nor Kevin could distinguish a single sound that came from that thing.

“Hey yo chill with the gun man, “said Kevin as he lowered his, “I can’t remember anything, and all I know is that my name is Kevin and that apparently an air-strike hit this place and that she is my best friend I mean no harm man.” This was it, he had apparently survived this much and his journey was going to be ended by a lunatic with a gun, great, simply great he thought.

* * *
He shivered for a couple seconds, and then realized that he was being pushed, someone was trying to wake him up.

“Hey kid, wake up man,” this time the sway created by this person woke him up, thankfully, he said to himself, he wouldn’t have to remember what had occurred after that small encounter.

“I’m up already, Why so… YAOUH, what the f***, I thought I was dreaming,” said Kevin with a groan and proceeded to sit up in the improvised bed.

“Kid, you nearly died on us back there you scared us to death man,” Kevin couldn’t distinguish who was sitting down in the dark corner when ______ the woman in the back introduced herself, “My name is Victoria, I am in charge of the installations on this side of the state, or at least what is left of it.”

“My pleasure, my name is Kevin and well I don’t know how I got here, so I would like… you know information,” the lady looked a little puzzled when _______ got in, “Kid this is what happened, remember the school? Well, a freakulo appeared creeping around the corner, he ran towards you and I shot him, next thing we see 10 more guys appeared and the girl got your gun and started shooting and we ran man, you were hit in the cross fire when one of the lunatics pulled a magnum and well its been three days, the wound got infected and here we are.” Oh, never mind I guess the dream wasn’t so bad at all. Or were they hiding something from him? So many thoughts crossed his head, but he focused on one question. “Where is Diana?”

The private, a strong, apparently unbreakable, let out a long and deep sigh. “Your girlfriend is,…” His voice interrupted by Diana’s sudden appearance through the door, “Right there, common Diana he just woke up girl cant you let him be? You are worse than my wife and dam that’s pretty tough.”

“Oh chill man, wait what?” said Diana and a sudden burst of excitement run through her body as she started charging towards Kevin. “Kevin! You are awake thank God, you scared the s*** out of me you….”

“Sorry to interrupt, but we have a nuclear war going on,” said the private with a sudden urge to stop the conversation, “ We have to get to the outside of the city before another airstrike reaches the city, you know before we get burn to death in matter of seconds.”

“__________ is right, and we got a get a move on, just be aware, people are capable of doing the unimaginable when they suffer unreal circumstances. The people you used to know no longer exist, those people are long gone, they will do anything to survive and if you don’t remember that for every second you are out there you will be dead.” Said Victoria in a really unenthusiastic manner.

*
*
*
The next couple of minutes were chaotic, Diana and Kevin were moved throughout the entire facility, picking up weapons, canteens, ammunition and a couple weird looking grenades. After eating a weird lunch that had no taste they were sent off

If u liked it so far please tell me and please leave some feedback I will keep on uploading different segments because hopefully we will end up with a really epic book but I want to make sure that there is involvement from the community I hope u enjoyed :D

I hope you guys enjoy the first one, please leave me feedback so I can improve and continue on and develop each of these sections into a novel THANKS =D