The Story Teller? | Teen Ink

The Story Teller?

May 16, 2013
By nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming
nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming
60 articles 11 photos 379 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.


Many have traveled from distant lands just to hear my tale. Come. Sit by my fire lad, and get ready to hear my dearest tale…Back when I was young. Oh… ‘bout fifteen or sixteen I sailed the seven seas trying to fill a void. A void in my very soul… hmm. I was so very young. Beautiful too. But also very naive…There was this man. He had three scars running up his leg and any time you’d ask him how he got them he’d change the story! Once he told me his mother beat him and another time he said he got it fighting Davy Jones for fair Calypso’s heart. He thought me a child. I was always trying to prove him wrong…Stupid me…Stupid, stupid, stupid! One night when he was half asleep I snuck into his room and stole his most valuable possession…His heart. One little girl’s red dress hit the floor that night, and a full fledged woman slipped back into it in the morning. He took me far far away and kept jewels around my neck for five years… One night he was reunited with an old…Friend of sorts, if you’re catching my drift. That woman brought him to his knees ten times faster than I ever could…Whore. She had used him and cast him away like a…No one treats anything like that…I hate her. She took him away from me that night. She had come to reclaim his heart. I came to her one night with tears in my eyes. I begged that witch to release him from her spell! … But things didn’t end well… I threw her body into the sea. Where else was I supposed to put it?! When I killed her I also killed my lover. I came to him. I still had her blood under my finger nails. He cried and cried and cried. I thought the ocean was going to gain two feet! No matter how much I scrubbed I couldn’t seem to get her blood from under my nails. He never stopped his infernal wailing! I never got a moment of peace! Even as I lay in my hammock reading, he would weep and call her name. I knew what had to be done. He would never belong to me. He belonged to her. Always and forever. So I slit his throat and threw that whimpering, scarred idiot into the sea just like the whore. As I weighed anchor I hummed my favorite song –Danny Boy at the time. As the anchor rose out of the water I had a sudden vision of the woman I murdered clinging to the anchor. I paused, then began to whistle the tune… Awful bad luck whistling is… I was well on my way and when I almost fell asleep at the helm I decided it was time to weigh anchor and retire… Awful hard for a lone woman to run a ship all by herself…When I opened the door to my quarters I swear, to this day, that he was standing there! He grinned broadly and said “Hello” his neck still bleeding, his skin was white as flour, he left a blood stained puddle in my doorway. He reached out as if to touch the necklace he had given me. I shut my eyes tight and screamed at the top of my lungs. He mimicked the sound and fallowed it with insane laughter. When I opened my eyes he was no longer there. The visions got increasingly worse…I suppose that’s why I’m here. Mind loosening my straight jacket a little?


The author's comments:
This is just something I wrote up on my phone at midnight one night. I won (regional) honorable mention for it in the Schoolastic's Art and Writing Awards, but let's let the peice speak for itself.