Downfall | Teen Ink

Downfall

By GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Fingers slip.

I watch as he falls. The rain made it impossible for him to hold on any longer. The ledge was too small for nice weather, much less this downfall. The street and city lights below him almost make it look like he wasn’t falling, but rather flying upward into the stars of the heavens.

His eyes are still locked on mine. Even now, as he hurtles farther and farther away from me, I can feel them boring into me. I can still see them in my mind. They were full of questions. He didn’t understand. And now, I guess he never would.

Below, cars honk as he reaches his final destination. I slowly stand and make my way away from the edge of the building. The cops would probably be up here soon to check the scene. They’ll probably rule his death as suicide. After all, he did have a very troubled life and no one he knows has a clue about me. I was his little secret.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

This story is short and impactful. The fresh perspective really drew me in. One thing I have to point out is that you seemed a little unclear of what tense you were writing in, which messed a little bit with the overall flow. However, the mysterious air surrounding the narrator and the chilling way he/she describes this fatal fall up to the stars make this a really cool and original piece. I loved it!

RealRiter GOLD said...
RealRiter GOLD, Astoria, Oregon

"I did not fail 101 times, but I simply found 101 ways that did not work." -Thomas Edison

Hahaha wow that is funny, nice job! Great work, creative writer!

Stella_Val_Illicia GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad idea."
--Douglas Adams

It's kind of scary in an odd way, and I really like that about it. I like the creepy feel from the end where you realize it's sort of from the point of view of the person who killed him, and I love stories like that. We so often get into the victim or the bystander's mind, but we rarely get the point of view of the killer. There were a couple grammatical errors I noticed (past/present tense, little things like that) but the story was great!

nautiicaled BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Ah a wonderful piece. It surely left me wanting to read more. You can really feel the questions and answers just lingering in the air so I really like this. :)

E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
Very good. You created a very intricate story in not very many words at all. You let the reader's imgaination take hold and fill in the blanks. Great job.

-John Erslcine

Aww, Thanks. :) You're too kind.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Wow! I love it! I love how you keep it a secret how he REALLY died, and i love how the reader can leave it to his/her own imagination as to what happens next. Awesome detail and imagery! Im really impressed!! :P Your such an amazing writer!

-John Erslcine

Thank you! :D I'm glad your caught onto the title like that. :)

whiterose GOLD said...
whiterose GOLD, Independence, Missouri

The future lies before you, like a field of fallen snow; be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

WOW!!! It's so short and I think that's what makes it so GREAT!  There's no long introductions, you just drop the bomb on the readers.  I loved it :)  I also like how you put the rain and the 'jumper' into the title.  Downfall, that's a super creative name :) Keep writing :)