Red Hair | Teen Ink

Red Hair

By SchiZo GOLD, Springtown, Texas
SchiZo GOLD, Springtown, Texas

I live at the speed of my mind, and love with the strength of my heart. I am happier than I have ever been. But only because i know where i have been.
-Corey Taylor

There she was. I hardly noticed her, but her gleaming red hair shone in the sun, and so reflective it caught my eyes.
I looked up from my book I was reading while I sat on the park bench. She sat on the shaded ground, underneath a tree, also reading. The wind caught the leaves, and maneuvered them as such, the bright sun tagged her glistening hair.
Her book was thick and bound in black; mine was white, just as simply bound. I thought about asking her what she was reading and starting a casual conversation. Then again, she also seemed the type who liked to be alone.
She hadn't noticed me staring at her yet, and so I still debated introducing myself. She seemed plain: A black tank top and jeans. I, myself, wore a plain white t-shirt and jeans.
I closed my book and took a deep breath, already regretting my one-sided unspoken conversation. I walked across the grass, and she looked up at me, curious. 
I caught my breath as I noticed her eyes were such a deep, dark brown they looked black. Her eye shadow was a glittery gray, her lips a soft pink. Quickly, I blurted out something i thought could be funny. 
"Jesus Christ, couldn't you find a thicker book?" I asked dumbly. 
"Cousin of mine, actually, and no. I haven't really found one yet." she replied casually, looking back at her book, choosing to ignore me.
I stood there, stupidly, and asked, "Cousin? How so?"
She looked up again, blinked, and returned to reading. 
I was afraid to ask more questions, afraid she'd ignore those too. 
"Do you enjoy gawking at me?" she asked, almost cold.
"No, I just noticed your thick book and was curious. And it seemed you were lonely." I stuttered.
"Do you stammer talking to everyone, or just me?" she still hadn't looked up. 
"I'm not answering that until you answer mine." I stated simply. 
She raised an eyebrow at me, then closed her book, and stood up. She gazed into my eyes, making me uncomfortable, so I shifted my weight to my other foot. 
Without a word, she walked away.
"I can't even have your name?" I called.
"You can remember me as the devil's daughter, Alexander." she called back, not turning. I gaped in amazement that she knew my name. Her hair glittered in the setting sun as she kept walking. I blinked and she was gone. 
I looked down, and she had left her, now dusty, black book. I picked it up and examined the title. It was the bible. 

otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

This is very well written. I really, really want to find out what happens next! You do a great job at adding susence to your writing.