My Scream | Teen Ink

My Scream

By SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

I had to scream. It scrabbled at my heart, clawing up my throat like an oily black rat squirming to get out. My insides burned with the scars of unvented emotions, etched upon my soul.

The scream was a separate entity, trapped within me, and desperate to be free. I longed to shatter the silence of this quiet forest, to make the tree’s inky black shadows tremble, and the lake shiver with the strength of my voice.

I had been trained so long to be still, be mute, that it had made me invisible. Now I was free, and the demon of black rage and brimming insanity would be silent no longer.

I screamed, with every bit of my anger and resentment in me. With my eyes closed I was enveloped in the torrent of my reclaiming, taking back the will, which had been stolen from me.

When my throat had become raw and my breath run out, I fell to my knees and wept. Tears of joy, tears of sadness ached so long, and finally to cry, because once in my life I could.

My tears dried and I felt release, that scream had been my irrefutable liberation, pushing me through my last barrier of fear.

The bloody knife slipped from my fingers, it’s point lodging in the silty muddy ground. My captors were dead. I was free. All those nights of fantastical dreams had finally become reality.

I washed my blood and dirt caked palms in the cool, calm lake water. No guilt was harbored in my heart. I had been a prisoner far too long for that. My hands cleansed, I stood and turned with out a backward glance, walking into the forest, toward civilization and the promise of a life that was all mine.

I wrote this for a contest and ended up loving it!

claynique BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
“My insides burned with the scars of unvented emotions, etched upon my soul” was a deep line. I can relate to this because there are times when I feel like I’m about to explode from keeping my emotions bottled up. It is a deep line because I can feel your pain and I understand what it’s like to feel trapped.

Fallen_ PLATINUM, Quakertown, Pennsylvania

" a shattered world is only an opening into a new beginning with laughs, smiles, and love all around enter the world of the light and away from the broken darkness"

Really needs  awarning like WARNING: all who read this will die from amazement and screaming like the title for more this i loved i love your imagery and everything so good job nothing to change but keep going

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

thank you so much xD

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Wow. There oughta be a warning at the bottom. It would read like this "REMEBER TO BREATHE, PEOPLE!"

on Jun. 18 2012 at 1:54 am
Pika_Princess, Escondido, California
Very well written. I'm able to understand what happened yet it still leaves me wanting more! 

Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.

Very great! I couldn't stop reading, it was really good.  Lots of details and stuff.  I likes it a lottttt.

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thank you!      

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Mind .Blown

I can totally see why you ended up loving this.

I really like the description and imagery.

5 stars

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thanks!          

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

THANK YOU!

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

It almost, on the verge of doing so, makes one want to scream long and powerful as well, from liberation and ecstasy.

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Incredible!!!!!! The emotion is very powerful, unlike anything I've ever read. 

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

What?! That's amazing! I was surprised at first, because the poem resembled a story, and then I read it, and I realized that it is a story, but one that's woven into a phantasmagoric string of poetry.  The description of emotions are stunning and intense. I really enjoy your style of writing! Keep it up!

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

I'm glad you liked it!

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I read this before and reading it again just astounds me again! This is very, very good. The description is very well laid out. The piece flows well, and there's an aura of mystery that surrounds it. Honestly, I think that makes it better. You definitely described this scream perfectly, and I could feel the emotions from the character. :)

ItsAshMal SILVER, Guilford, Connecticut

Simply said, I love this. I refuse to muck it up witha longwinded comment. 

Favorite: "irrefutable liberation"
Least favovorite: "it scrabbled at my heart"

Kay... BRONZE said...
Kay... BRONZE, London, Other

Life is not accomplished when reaching the Destination, it is the journey that creates success.

Brilliant!!!

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thanks!               

msp49 BRONZE said...
msp49 BRONZE, Middletown, Connecticut
I liked this a lot.  Usually people over do the adjectives in an attempt to make themselves sound smarter than what they really are, but you're not one of those people.  Your descriptions of the emotions worked and were very powerful.  Great job!

BorderlineGenius777 SILVER, Lewiston, Idaho

"If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most would be content to take their own and depart."- Socrates

powerful. i really liked it.