Waking Up | Teen Ink

Waking Up

January 25, 2011
By MargaretC GOLD, Hopewell Jct, New York
MargaretC GOLD, Hopewell Jct, New York
14 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Disability is a matter of perception. If you can do just one thing well, you're needed by someone.
Martina Navratilova


She woke up and realized that everything had changed. Her bed, her soft warm bed was no longer there. Instead, she was lying on rocks and pebbles, on the cold hard ground. But that was not why she was worried. She was worried, because she couldn’t hear anything. No cars honking at each other, yelling and screaming in the only ways cars can. There were no people screaming, competitively screaming over who had the best hot dogs, and pretzels, and peanuts. Over who sold newspapers and candy. Over sightseeing tours buses, and restaurant coupons. There were no trash trucks grabbing at the trash like children fighting over a toy, grabbing and dumping like it was a contest to see who could collect the most trash. It was silent. She was worried that she had gone deaf. Worried that something was wrong with her. She hoped that if she got up, and say that she was still in her small bedroom in her small apartment, right over the deli and across from the school; the small newspaper stand at the corner, the one that sold only newspapers and 2 types of candy; with the man that she swore wanted to marry her. She hoped to see the pigeon family, Perry and Petunia with their 3 kids Penny, Phoebe and Patrick, hopping around on her window sill, begging for some more bread crumbs, or maybe a pizza crust. She slowly stood up. She was in a musty room, that smelled like smoke, water, rotting meat and grass. Maybe I am in the basement of the deli, she thought. But when she opened her eyes, she gasped...