The Deadly Truth (6) | Teen Ink

The Deadly Truth (6)

By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois

He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

“Rachel, it’s nice to see you again.” Detective Howard greeted me as I stepped into his office at the police department.

“You too,” I replied, taking a seat in the chair across from his desk. After my encounter with Bobby at lunch earlier today, he’d completely avoided me. That was both good and bad.

It was good because I wasn’t reminded of how much I liked him, which helped me not like him anymore. It was bad because it meant that he must’ve still been mad at me. And I hated that he was angry with me.

But right now, I had to clear all of those thoughts of him out of my mind, because I was here meeting with Detective Howard so that we could discuss the case of my sister’s death.

“I decided to wait to talk to Bobby.” he began. “However, I did meet with Lindsey yesterday evening.” he added. “I asked her about the night of Becca’s death. I asked her if she was there to hear any of the fight between Bobby and your sister.”

“Ok,” I replied. “What did she say?”

“She told me that she left before the fight like how she told me in our first interview. But this time, she also told me that she had forgotten her cell phone at your house and came back for it. But when she came back, she said she did hear some of the fight.” he said. “So I asked her what she heard. She told me that all she heard was that Becca was angry with Bobby because she found out that he was in love with another girl.”

“And that was all she heard? She didn’t hear who he was in love with?” I asked.

He shook his head, “Nope.”

I sighed, wondering if that was really true. Or if Lindsey was just a complete liar and said that because she knew who it was, but didn’t want anyone else to know.

“So, you pretty much have no new evidence besides that?” I inquired.

“Sorry, but yes. That’s all she knows.”

“Well, what if she was lying and she knows more?”

He shrugged, “If we get any more evidence suggesting that she knows more to it than just that, than I can bring her in for questioning again. But until then, there isn’t much I can do to her.”

“What about Bobby?” I asked.

“Well, I was planning on calling him in tomorrow night to question him. But I wanted to question Lindsey first.”

“Ok,” I said. I wanted to tell him about my dreams so badly, but I knew that I couldn’t. He would think that I was a lunatic.

“Alright, well we can meet again on Wednesday if you want to. But this time, I think that you should bring your parents with you so that I can talk to them too.”

“Well, my mom is kind of depressed. She hasn’t left the house since Becca’s death, except for the funeral. So I don’t know if she’ll want to come.” I told him.

He nodded in response. “Well just tell her that I want to talk to her, and if she declines then that’s ok too. I just think it would be best for both of your parents to know exactly what’s going on.”

“Yeah, me too.” I agreed. “And I’m sure that my dad will agree to come. I’m just not so sure that my mom will.”

“That’s fine. If she doesn’t, you can always just tell her what’s going on.”

“Yeah, that would probably be the best thing to do for her.” I said.

“Ok, then I guess I’ll see you and your dad on Wednesday.”

“Yep.” I replied. “What time should we come?”

“Does five-thirty work for you?” he asked.

“Yeah, that should be fine.”

“Then five-thirty it is.” he declared, standing up from his chair. I did the same, realizing that this was his cue for me to leave.

“Well it was nice meeting with you.” I told him.

“You too.” he replied.

I smiled, we said goodbye, and I left, a million thoughts racing through my mind.

That night, when I got home from the police station, I told my dad that Detective Howard wanted to meet with him and Mom on Wednesday. He agreed to go and told me that he’d talk to Mom about it, but that he was pretty sure that she wouldn’t want to go. That was exactly what I expected.

Dad and I ate dinner in silence again. My mom fell asleep around six-thirty again. So I ended up cooking dinner again. Tonight it was frozen pizza.

“So, how was school?” Dad asked, as I cleared off the table when we finished eating.

“Fine,” I replied.

He nodded, not knowing what else to say. “Well that’s good.”

“Yep,” I rinsed off our plates in the sink and stuck them in the dishwasher. “I’m going to go do some homework.” I announced.

“Ok.” he said.

Then I ambled upstairs, but I didn’t work on homework. I already had all of my homework finished. That was just an excuse to get away from the awkwardness between my dad and I.

When I got upstairs, I sighed and changed into pajamas, climbing into bed and turning on my TV. I flipped through channels, settling on C.S.I. Miami. But the second they showed a dead, blood-soaked body, I turned the TV off.

I didn’t usually get creeped out by blood and gore and dead bodies, but after seeing my sister’s bloody, gory, dead body… Well, that changed everything.

I decided to just go to sleep, no longer in the mood to watch television. Besides, it had been a long day and I was exhausted. Plus, I was kind of looking forward to tonight’s dream-vision. I wanted to find out who Bobby was in love with, and hopefully, I would tonight.

So I rested my head on my pillow and closed my eyes.

“Why?” Becca demanded. “What does she have that I don’t?”

“No, Becca, it’s not like that!” Bobby said. “It’s not that she’s better than you.”

“Then what is it, Bobby?” she cried.

He shook his head, “I don’t know. There’s just something about her…”

“Who?” Lindsey exclaimed.

“I thought I told you to leave.” Bobby muttered through clenched teeth.

“It’s my house.” Becca declared. “So she can stay.” She eyed Bobby fiercely, with rage in her eyes.

“Why are you doing this, Becca?” he asked.

“I’m not doing anything. Lindsey’s my friend, so if she wants to stay, she can stay. You, however, are no longer a friend of mine. You’re a traitor and a liar and I hate you.” she hissed wickedly.

“I’m sorry. But you don’t have to automatically hate me just because things didn’t work out between us. Can’t we still be friends?” he pled.

“Are you kidding me?” she cried out. “Why the hell would I want to be friends with you? You betrayed me!”

“No, I didn’t. It’s not like I was cheating on you.” he told her. “I can’t help the way I feel.”

“Well either can I.” she stated. “And right now, I feel betrayed.”