The new house | Teen Ink

The new house

June 20, 2010
By AquariusSunandMoon SILVER, Sublette, Illinois
AquariusSunandMoon SILVER, Sublette, Illinois
8 articles 17 photos 69 comments

I never would have purchased this house if I'd known that things lived there. I'm not really sure what they are or if there's more then one of them. I've never seen them and to tell the truth I don't want to.
Now I know you probably think I'm crazy or that I'm writing this just for the attention.
I promise you; I'm not.
The first night I stayed in this house I was kept awake all night by the sound of small feet pattering up and down the hall outside my bedroom door. The next morning as I was taking a shower the toilet flushed all by itself, and then as I was trying to ignore that fact the bar of soap I was holding was quite forcefully yanked from my hands.
Still, despite those odd noises and the self-flushing toilet I wanted to give the house another chance. So that night I curled up in my bed and waited... and there were no noises, voices or lights flickering on and off and though I tried to fight it I eventually fell asleep.
In the morning I woke up and found myself on the on the other end of the room. I stared disbelieving at my room. Everything and I mean everything was moved. My bed of course, plus the bookshelf (all the books were still on the shelves), dresser, chair and the boxes full of clothes that I still needed to unpack.
I tried to think back to see if I had heard anything during the night, but no, it had been silent. I was shaken up more than I care to admit and frankly I wasn't sure I wanted to sleep up in this room any more.
In fact, for the rest of the week, when ever I was home I kept to the first floor. What ever was living up stairs apparently liked it there and didn't want to come down. I decided to sleep on the couch and when nothing odd happened for the next three days I let myself hope just a little, that what ever had been doing those things had left.
Turns out they hadn't.
When I came home on Wednesday night all the upstairs lights were on, the windows open and several boxes had been dumped out the windows and now sat on the porch roof. Pulling into the driveway I reached for my cell phone. It was time to call for reinforcements.

My brother thought I was making it all up and with no hesitation said he would spend a night upstairs. For the first time in days I slept soundly all through the night, all the way to sunrise.
I was woken by screaming. For a moment I was confused, then as the fury of footfalls cascaded down the stairs and into the living room where I now sat bolt upright on the couch I began to scream too.
I watched horrified as my brother raced from the house covered from head to toe in red. A red that dripped and gave off the distinctive smell of blood.

In closing I will tell you this; the blood was not my brother's, we never found out who it belonged to nor in truth did we want investigate. I have come to the conclusion that this house is haunted, that's why tomorrow I'm setting it on fire.


The author's comments:
This story idea came from a Writer's Digest contest prompt.