Death and Counting | Teen Ink

Death and Counting

By TrueBella1917 BRONZE, Keller, Texas
TrueBella1917 BRONZE, Keller, Texas

"Off with your head!"
"Such a lovely head and I'd wear it on all the finest occasions"

1 second is all it takes, 1 second is all it takes for your life to flash before your eyes and to be dead the next second. 1 minute is all it takes for your entire world to come crashing down around you, for you to lose everything. 1 day is all it takes to send an entire nation into a chaotic mess. 1 day is all it took for the United States to be sent into a ruckous by 1 persons mistake, 1 persons idea to be a terrorist, 1 persons idea to kill millions of people in a crash into the World Trade Centers. 1 person is all it takes.

As I stood in the World Trade Center that morning I had no clue what was coming in a matter of seconds. I stared out the window at the rising sun at 7 o'clock in the morning. My coffee now room temperature and long forgotten from when I awoke at 5 this morning and arrived at the office at 6 to finish some last minute business before my meeting this morning. I breathed a deep sigh as I turned back to my desk and sat down.

My phone beeped signalling my assistant had a message, I pushed the button for her to talk to me.

"Mrs. Rogers?" her nazaly voice filled my office. I sighed before replying, "Yes, what is it?". There was a space of silence before her reply came back, "the meeting time has been changed to 7:30 mrs." I ran my hand over my face, "Okay, thank you Angie." I released the button and took a glance at the clock the meeting was in 5 minutes, I grabbed my stuff and made my way to the conference room on the floor above mine.

I walked in and sat down in a vacant chair. I grabbed a muffin from the middle of the table and took a bite.

"Well, good morning everyone. I trust everyone has had a successful week?" we all nodded in response to Mr.Bigs as he looked around before sitting down in the end chair. "Well lets get straight to business, Mrs. Long, what have you got for me?"

The meeting went on like that and in the end he thanked us and said he'd see us next week. We were released and I headed back to my office downstairs. I walked in and took a deep breath, it was 9 o'clock now. Only another 7 hours before I could go home.

I stood by the window looking out thinking over this past year and all that had occured in the world.

I was broken out of my reverie by screaming suddenly and looked around confused. I ran out of my office into the hallway and looked around people were rushing for the stairs.

"Angie! Angie!" I spotted her over in the corner and ran to her. She had a gash in her forehead, "Angie what happened?" I screamed frantically. She looked at me for a second, "crashed, a plane crashed, the buildings crashing you gotta get out of here!" she screamd at me.

I wrapped her arm around me and stood up, "don't worry about me, just go!" she screamed I shook my head and made my way for the staircase. I had to get her medical treatment soon.

Getting out the building was crazy, we made it to the first floor but there was a crazy amount of people rushing to get out all the while the building kept shaking as it came down on us.

I reached the front door and ran out a moment later the building tumbled entirely in on itself. I looked at the other Trade Center and it had just been hit from the look of it. There were all forms of emergency vehicles, the firetrucks were doing all they could to get the fires out. Police were sitting asking if anyone had seen the terrorist or knew anything. I made my way to an ambulance and handed off Angie before making my way around looking for my husband.

My husband and I both worked in the same building he was a few floors up from me though and so I stood by the door waiting for him to appear somehow. After another ten minutes the other tower was completely down I walked through the group searching and praying.

"Jessi!" I heard my name being yelled I turned in a circle searching. "Jessi!" I heard again, I turned and saw my husband running toward me. I started crying as he embraced me, his own tears streaming down his face to.

"I thought you were dead," I mumbled into his neck. I felt him nod, "I'm here baby, I'm here baby." I nodded back at him crying trying to hang onto him for dear life.

1 minute changed my entire outlook on life, the next minute a million lives were changed in a heartbeat.

This piece was inspired by the ending scene of Remember Me in which Robert Pattinson was standing at the window looking out.