Blood Petals | Teen Ink

Blood Petals

March 25, 2010
By Eversea GOLD, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Eversea GOLD, Minneapolis, Minnesota
19 articles 6 photos 1 comment

I always thought blossoms were pretty. The pink and red bursting into life. In the morning when they were covered in dew I would watch the dew drip off their small petals. I was probably lucky to die next to their beauty. My breath cutting short as I gazed at their petals. They were all spotted with my blood. Still they looked beautiful.
Somebody grabbed my shoulder.
“She’s still alive.” He shouted.
I heard one more person rustling around.
“Call the ambulance!” I shout rose up.
“No…” I murmured.
He bent down to me, taking my hand.
“What is it? What’s your name?”
“Lynn, but please…Don’t call anyone…I want to die here…It’s too late to save me.”
Everything was becoming dark but I could still see those blossoms and the man shaking his head and I could hear someone talking on the phone.
“I’ll die in the blossoms.” I whispered.
Then it was the end. Everything blacked out, the man, the sounds and the blossoms.
 
I woke up just before I died. Dreams aren’t really dreams when you’re dying in them. I tried to push it from my mind but I couldn’t so I got up thinking about it. Have you ever gotten out of bed still thinking about a nightmare? It’s not a very good thing to do. After you do that you’re forced to think about it all day. Like when you wake up to a song. That song stays in your head all day, even if it’s the Saturday the mail comes.
So as I ate my breakfast in the small kitchen I didn’t pay attention to anything else. When I got up I couldn’t even remember what I had been eating. Had it been bacon? Toast? Eggs? I didn’t know. So I just put my plate in the sink and walked into the lounge room. China is a really nice place. At least it is in the country. I don’t go into the city very often. My mother had bought this small cottage eight years ago and we’d lived here ever since then. I looked out the window. The high green grass was swaying in the wind, beckoning me towards it and the forest beyond. My mother didn’t like me leaving the house without her knowing but hopefully I’d be back before she woke up. I quickly ran down the hall into my bedroom and changed into a singlet and some shorts. Then out the door I flew, barefoot. My conscious reminded me about honoring one’s parents but I ignored it and ran out the small picket gate and into the meadow. That’s the only thing that would ever make someone forget about a waking nightmare. I ran right across it, my black hair streaming in the wind and me laughing the whole way. The waist high grass slapping my thighs. I spread my arms out on either side of me like a bird and began spinning around in circles, around and around and around. The blue sky turning making me dizzy. I collapsed into the grass. Not many people have ever done this. Not many people have ever just lay in the long grass watching it sway against the bright blue sky. Listening to the birds chirping. It’s amazing, but not amazing as the blossoms. I got up again and started running towards the forest. I hoped over the small gravel road leading around the edge of the forest for cars and ran the now very short distance to the blossoms. Small red roses and pink daisies. I grew them myself; mother didn’t like me in her garden. I grabbed the small pale by them and walked into the trees, swinging it by my side. The sun light filtered through the gaps in the leaves, mixing with the green light.
I took a deep breath I loved the forest air. A small came to a small slope and walked down it to the side of the stream. Humming to myself I filled the pale. Nothing could destroy my haven. Nothing. I started on my way back to the flowers. I watered them and then I gave into my conscious to go home. I left the pale and ran as fast as I could back to the cottage. I ran in the door just as mum was coming out of her bedroom.
“Hello mum. Could I make you breakfast?”
“Yes pleas, honey.”
I nodded and walked into the kitchen to make some eggs and bacon.
After my mum had started to eat I walked outside into the front yard and sat against an apple tree.
Then I heard the whispers. Slowly becoming louder, filling my mind.
“Horror…Blood…Death….Horror…Blood…Death.”
I shot into a standing position. Stories and myths of disembodied voices rushing into my mind.
“What?” I whispered back.
“Don’t go to the forest…dangers and blood and horror and death…the forest, filling with it…” The whispers got quieter and quieter. They repeated what they said and finally they died out.
“The forest…Mum!” I shouted.
“What!”
“I’m going to the forest!”
“Be back in time for lunch!” She shouted.
I ran out the gate, as fast as I could. No longer being concerned of the surrounding beauty. I just wanted to get to the forest, my haven. No horrors should fill it. I knew it was a stupid thing to do but I loved my forest. I reached the blossoms and stopped. Taking heavy breaths I looked around. There was nothing here. So I stepped quietly into the trees. Step by step I continued on towards the stream. I head voices now.
“We have to hide her! Why’d she get killed anyway!” I heard a man’s voice.
I stopped, someone was dead…
“She got in the way when I was trying to stab her brother.” Another man replied.
“Well he’s taken care of! What are we gonna do with her?” The first exclaimed.
I took a step closer, I needed to see it. I was to adventurous for my own good. I took hold of a tree branch and quietly pulled myself up into the tree. I still couldn’t see though.
“Let’s just dump her in the stream and hope that nobody leads her back to us.” The second man suggested.
“…Good idea. It’s China! There’s way to many people!”
They were so dumb! I could come up with better ways to cover up a murder and I was only fifteen!
So they began heading away from the body. Heading my way. This wasn’t good. Adrenaline started to fill me. As you probably know people do really irrational things when their scared and I was scared. I felt perfectly safe when they were down there but coming closer and closer I was scared. I jumped off the tree and started to run out of the forest, feet thudding the ground.
“Catch her!” I heard a yell.
I screamed and ran faster, the trees blurring past, my feet thudding the ground. Then I felt the hand on my shoulder. I screamed again as I was spun around to face my captor.
He gave me a punch to the face and made my nose bleed. I kicked him and ducked out of his grip, running once more. I reached the blossoms, but was caught again. It was like a game of tag. I felt another blow and blood sprayed off my face and onto my blossoms.
I tried to kick, to punch, to bite but I only came in contact with air.
The whispers came back.
“I told you…I’m sorry…I did tell you….” Then with the last faint whisper, “Sorry…”
The other man caught up to us. He took hold of me.
“You didn’t see anything.” He murmured and he plunged the sword into me. A samurai sword, but what did it matter what type of sword it was. The point was it had been plunged through my stomach. Then with even more pain it ripped down.
I screamed loudly. I screamed so loud I’m surprised I didn’t go deaf. Then I was pushed into the blossoms and they left. Now I thought about the dream…
I always thought blossoms were pretty. The pink and red bursting into life and in the morning when they were covered in dew I would like to watch the dew drip of their small petals. I was probably lucky to die next to their beauty. My breath cutting short as I gazed at their petals. They were all spotted with my blood. Still they looked beautiful.
Somebody grabbed my shoulder.
“She’s still alive.” He shouted.
I heard one more person rustling around.
“Call the ambulance!” I shout rose up.
“No…” I murmured.
He bent down to me, taking my hand.
“What is it? What’s your name?”
“Lynn, but please…Don’t call anyone…I want to die here…It’s too late to save me.”
Everything was becoming dark but I could still see those blossoms and the man shaking his head and I could hear someone talking on the phone.
“I’ll die in the blossoms.” I whispered.
Then it was the end. Everything blacked out, the man, the sounds and the blossoms.