The Guardian | Teen Ink

The Guardian

July 15, 2009
By chargertien GOLD, Forest Hill, Maryland
chargertien GOLD, Forest Hill, Maryland
14 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life sucks and is unfair. But when a melody dances in the wind, stop and enjoy the peacefulness.


Megan was a fearful and ashamed young woman. Still in the mist of high school, she was a beautiful young woman, black hair that ran down her face and brown eyes that shined through your soul. But there was something very, very dark about Megan, not exactly Megan herself but her boyfriend that she liked and hated at the same time. For you see her boyfriend, Eric, abused her, something that Megan never told anyone because of the fear that Eric put in her. But one day a shadow saved Megan from one of Eric’s rampages and that is where I begin.
It was 1:55 pm and the bell was about to ring. They were in an empty hallway, where no one could stop Eric from hitting Megan. Angry, Eric began to hit the defenseless Megan. Eric hit her once, twice, and then a voice called out stopping Eric’s slaps of fury, “Stop,” the voice said.
Eric turned around and saw a man wearing a gray hoody and black gloves, with the hood covering his face, “Who do you think you are?” Eric asked the man.
Tears spilled from Megan’s eyes, “I suggest that you do not do that again,” the man demanded emotionlessly.
Megan raised her head to see the shrouded savior, “What are you going to do to stop me?” Eric questioned.
Eric turned back around and raised his hand, about to slap Megan. But something stopped Eric’s hand. It was the man stopping Eric from hitting Megan again. The man grabbed Eric’s wrist and twisted it in a way that made Eric fly to the ground.
The man stood in front of Megan, “Run!” the man ordered, “Now!” Megan slowly walked away looking at the mysterious man, than her walk turned into a run. As soon as Megan turned the corner, all that was heard were thuds, that shook the near by floor.
The next day Eric walked into school with a sling around his arm, bruises all over his body, a broken nose and a black eye. Megan ran over to Eric, “Oh my god—I’m so sorry Eric. I didn’t kn—”
Eric started to yell at Megan, “All because of you I have a black eye, a dislocated shoulder, a broken wrist, and bruises all over my body,” he raised his hand about to hit Megan but something stopped him, something that appeared in the corner of his eye. He quickly turned to see the man in the gray sweat shirt. Eric’s hand slowly lowered and he looked around finally seeing everyone looking at him. Eric turned back to Megan and saw her eyes tightly closed and her head turned away. He did nothing this time, he just walked away. Megan raised her head and opened her eyes, also seeing everyone looking at her. But she didn’t see the man.

Months past and every time Eric was about to hit Megan he saw the man in the gray hoody and black gloves. Megan began to become confident in the man and that Eric would not hit her anymore. But what Megan didn’t know was that Eric was preparing for the mans next appearance, which would be soon and Eric knew it.
One night Eric and Megan were invited to a party. They entered the party with Megan under Eric’s arm. Eric now fully healed from the man’s attack, and it looked like a promising party. But Megan began to make Eric angry. Megan didn’t do anything to enrage him, he just became angry. Soon Eric pushed Megan into the back porch were no one was around.
Eric raised his arm about to smack Megan but Eric stopped, “I knew you were coming.”
“Than you know what will happen if you hit her,” A man’s voice replied.
“I know what will exactly happen,” Eric turned around and pulled out a gun. He fired it and hit the man. Eric turned back around, “Look at what you did Megan. If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t have just shot a man,” Eric slapped Megan and she fell to the ground. She looked at the motionless man, but she could not see his face because he fell on his stomach. Blood began to emerge from under the man and Megan knew that he was dead. Eric still looked at Megan and said to her, “Now let’s see who your hero is,” Eric turned to see the body gone. Eric walked over to the blood pool and didn’t see any foot steps leading away from the blood, he just disappeared.
People started to flow into the porch trying to see where the shot came from, only to see Eric holding a gun hovering over the pool of blood. A man quickly took the gun from Eric’s hand but he didn’t change his gaze. Eric just stared endlessly at the blood.
Finally his stare was broken from the sound of sirens. Someone called the police and Eric ran away. He dashed through trees and brush trying to run away from the police. Then, suddenly, and elbow bashed into Eric’s head. He fell backwards, to the ground. Dazed Eric looked around trying to find the person who just hit him. He staggered to his feet and saw the man in the gray hoody. With blurry vision he could barely see the man, and soon Eric’s vision cleared and the man was gone.
Then something pushed Eric to a tree trunk and bent his arm so he couldn’t move, “You think you can kill me, but you are wrong,” the man turned Eric and tied a rope around his hand. From there the man took the rope around Eric’s neck and tied it to a tree, so Eric couldn’t move or else he would further hurt himself. Soon the police came and found Eric, untied him and took him to jail.
No one saw the man leave, no one but Megan. She saw him walk to her, “It is over now,” he said not stopping.
“Thank you isn’t enough…at least let me know the name of my hero.”
He stopped and for a few moments he said nothing, he turned around and started to walk away, “I am not a hero but a guardian and that is what you can call me,” with his back turned away from her, the Guardian lowered his hood and released his long black hair. He looked up and disappeared.
“Thank you, Guardian,” She whispered into the darkness.
Wind blew through Megan’s hair, making it wave behind her, “Your welcome,” the wind said to her. She smiled and never saw the Guardian again. But he was always watching, protecting her whenever she needed it.