The Other Side | Teen Ink

The Other Side

By shipleys108 BRONZE, Liberty, Missouri
shipleys108 BRONZE, Liberty, Missouri

One can not be brave who has no fear.

I didn’t think it would actually work. I was only curious as to what the old ladies ramblings had been about. Most had chalked it up to dementia but I wasn’t so sure. She had said there was a mirror realm just beyond ours. Just crazy old people right? 

My inquisitive nature decided to test it. I didn’t have anything to do on Halloween so I decided to test her theories. What's the harm? If it works great, if it doesn’t no harm no foul. 

I went up to the attic where Grandma’s mirror was. The attic was dark with only the moonlight filtering in from the window. She had insisted on keeping the mirror no matter how hard we tried to get rid of it. It was a beautiful mirror in all honesty. The mirror was taller than I was with intricate designs at the corners and a thick layer of dust covering the reflective surface. 

I wiped the dust off the mirror with my arm sleeve. Staring back at me was my reflection but something was off about it. The face didn’t look quite human. That's when icy fingers gripped my arm in the darkness. They pulled me to the other side of the mirror. 

I thrashed trying to get the hand off of me but it was too late. I was pulled into the other side. I looked at my mirror version. She looked at me before walking through the mirror into my realm, the place where I belonged. I tried to go after her but the mirror was solid. There was no going back. I pounded on the mirror hoping, no wishing for her to do something but she just looked at me with a bored expression. She then reached up and pulled the canvas covering down over the mirror into its original place.

This is a scary story for Halloween.