The Doctor Prescribed Death | Teen Ink

The Doctor Prescribed Death

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

Amanda awoke in a hospital bed, with only a thin blanket and medical gown covering her shivering body. She heard heels walk into the room, and she attempted to crane her head sideways to look at who it was, but the person spoke first.

“I’m so happy you’re awake!” A chirpy voice said, walking in front of Amanda’s bed. The woman in front of her seemed to be a nurse, with a short nurse outfit and a high blonde ponytail. “I’m sure that the car accident scrambled your brain a little bit. Can you remember anything?”

“I’m . . . I’m Amanda. That’s all I can remember.” She said quietly, and the nurse’s eyes slimmed for a moment.

“Oh . . . well to sum it up, you were in a car accident a week ago. You went into a coma and the rest of your family . . . perished. You have some extensive brain damage, and it’d be best to see what the doctor can do for you.” The nurse left the room as quickly as she’d entered.

A tall and lanky man came in a moment later, with a wide grin on his face. “Amanda . . . I’ve been waiting to speak to you.” He laughed. “I haven’t been able to continue my tests since you went into that coma . . .”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that you’re not a patient, Amanda. You’re an experiment. My experiment. All mine.” He laughed again. “I’m glad you don’t remember anything. It’ll make what happens next so much more fun.”

Amanda watched in stunned silence as he grabbed a syringe and filled it with a mysterious purple liquid.

“Of course, I’ll have to let this set for a minute . . . so don’t go anywhere, alright?” The second he closed the door behind him, Amanda rushed to find an escape.

Eventually, she did, and rushed all around the room, attempting to find something she could use as a weapon. She only thought about grabbing the syringe after she left the room, but knew she didn’t have time to waste.

She walked into the other room slowly, with only her fists to use as defense. Amanda listened for noises, but the only sound she heard was the sound of the doctor’s laughter floating through her mind.

Then she realized that the laughter wasn't in her head. But she only realized that once she’d collapsed to the floor, looking at the syringe from earlier now sticking out from her leg. 

The doctor’s laugh was more frenzical now: manic. And she watched as he crouched down with a wide smile. “Oh, Amanda. This is going to be so much fun. Let’s see how many more times you lose this game.”

Blackness crept into the corners of her eyes, and before she knew it, she was again floating in a world of darkness.