Blueprints | Teen Ink

Blueprints

July 11, 2023
By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
108 articles 9 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?


Monica stood beside her new seaside home, smiling as the last of the workers left her property. I could tell that she enjoyed it, as I designed the house myself. My work always makes people happy. It’s in the contract!

“Thank you, Gerome! It’s beautiful!” Monica said to me with a huge smile on her face. I nod and go to leave, pressing a small green button on a remote.

You see, I’m a double-agent kind of guy. I work for high-class assassins, and I also work as a house designer. When someone rich needs to be taken out, I offer them the deal of a lifetime, and when the assassins wind the time to strike, I whistle as I walk away with clean hands.

All houses are built to specially fit the owner’s complicated needs, Monica just needed a sweet seaside getaway. I personally wanted to quit halfway through this one, as Monica wouldn’t shut up about certain things she ‘needed’ in her home.

To be honest, I’m glad she’s being taken out. Most people tend to make me feel the slightest bit guilty whenever I leave, but not her. She doesn’t even have kids, but if she did, I’d feel horrible with what they had to live with. I could barely deal with it, and I’m getting paid.

I don’t know why exactly Monica needed to be dealt with, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had something to do with the inhuman number of words that she speaks per minute. 

The car beeps and automatically picks up. “Gerome, have you already left the property?” The voice on the other end asks with a cold tone.

“Yes, I’m about five minutes away. I’d suggest giving it a little bit longer before you hit. The police got pretty close to blaming me for the last one.” I reply, popping my shoulders as I pull onto the highway.

The line clicks dead, and I scoff. I don’t like either job that I have, but both together give an amazing salary that not even the most good-hearted people could pass up.

Whenever the target is taken out and all their items are sold, I’m able to resell the house. No questions asked from the buyers, especially since I always give them such a good deal.

I can choose to either repeat the cycle, kill the owners and resell their property, or I can just leave them be. Most of the time, I pick the latter as it’s easier and takes up less of my time.

Of course, you may be asking, “Gerome, how do they always manage to be killed if they’re always in their homes?” Well, loyal reader, the answer is simple.

No one expects a secret room entering their most private of places. You’re supposed to feel most safe in your bedroom, right?

Well, no one, especially rich and snobby customers, ever checks the blueprints. It’s right there, you just have to look.

The devil’s not just in the details. The devil’s in the blueprints.