Cadavers | Teen Ink

Cadavers

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

Dr. Jordan sat at his desk, angrily flipping through his yearbook. It’d been thirty years since he’d graduated high school, but he’d never forgotten the pain. Every single thing that someone had ever said to him had stuck with him to this day. He could recall the names and faces of everyone he knew in perfect detail, something he enjoyed when the days were bad.

Dr. Jordan was one of the best doctors in the state, and taught anatomy as a side hustle for the local college. He even occasionally went down to the nearby high school to work as a substitute teacher. To most people, he was the perfect example of a model citizen, but under that bright exterior, dark things hid below the surface.

He could never get over any of the things that were said to him during his school days, and grew angry any time he saw anyone who looked remotely similar to his childhood bullies. He taught anatomy classes, after all. He had to get his cadavers from somewhere. He’d just passed them off as people who’d donated their bodies to science. If only people knew the truth behind it . . .

He’d recently gotten away with killing two identical twins that reminded him of one of the bullies, but it wasn’t enough. It never would be. It just seemed impossible to get back at the ones who had tormented him so long ago. Especially Mark Henry. Mark has been his worst tormentor, always picking and making fun of his love of science. He just couldn’t handle it anymore!

He paused, noticing that his nails were dug so deep into his palms that blood was now pooling onto his desk. He groaned, wiping it away with a sanitation wipe before locking up his room. 

Tomorrow was the start of a whole new year. Tomorrow . . . was hopefully going to be a productive day.

Dr. Jordan gulped down his morning coffee as he sat down again at his desk. His yearbook sat on one of his shelves, hopefully staying there for quite some time. He didn’t want to look through it again.

He watched as students trickled into the room, chattering and laughing as most college students did. Only a few more minutes until class started, hopefully, most of the students would actually be there on time.

Unlike most college students, Dr. Jordan was obsessive with time. Tracking and counting each individual second that ticked by when waiting for or doing something important.

His eyes quickly scanned the roll call, and his breathing stopped. Simon Henry was one of the names listed on the paper. He looked up and saw him. 

Mark Henry . . . had a son. Dr. Jordan smiled to himself as he stood up. Today was going to be a productive day.