The Monster Under the Bed | Teen Ink

The Monster Under the Bed

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

I’m terrified. There’s this little thing that comes in here. It terrifies me. It’s got two eyes, two arms, and two legs. It’s the definition of a monster. It’s horrifying. Thing is, it lives above my bed. 

Whenever I come home after a long day of work, I go to bed, but that . . . thing is there. I don’t even know what it is! Luckily for me, I’ve seen the larger versions of it come in here and sit on my bed.

I’m thankful for the fact that these creatures don’t know how to use a bed. They should know that the top part is meant as a place for food, and the bottom part is for sleeping. Instead, they sleep on top of the bed, which is not normal.

It’s hard to make out what they’re saying, but I think the name of the small creature is Evan. I don’t know that for sure, though.

I sneak out from below the bed, sneaking carefully through the quiet house. They never leave food out. Something about mice eating it or something. I think these creatures also don’t care about how good mouse droppings are for fertilizer.

There are many creaky spots throughout the house, but with my four legs, (as any normal creature should have,) it was easy to climb the walls and navigate outside.

A friend waits on the ceiling. Claxtur’s half-crow and half-eagle, but she’s still a friend, even with her odd two legs. “Did you see them again?” She asks in a hushed voice, flapping her wings with a nervous shiver.

“Yeah,” I replied, finding a comfy spot to sit. “I think the monster’s name is Evan.”

“Ew! What sort of name is that?” She caws, pecking at her dinner. “Fresh sardines. Want some?”

I take a sardine from the can, eating it in one bite. We chat for a while, and the sun slowly starts to rise. “We should split. I’m afraid that the creatures will see us.” I say, and she nods.

“Right. Talk to you later, Axiox.” She says, launching herself into the sky and flying away. I carefully sneak back into the house, careful not to make any noise.

When I get back to the bedroom, the door is closed. Odd. I could have sworn I left it open. I open it, and the creature is sitting up on the bed, with a bland selection of clothes on him. I’m frozen in place as it looks at me with piercing eyes.

“There you are!” It exclaims, jumping down from the bed and rushing over. I leap onto the ceiling, just out of its grasp. I gotta get back under the bed. It can’t hurt me there. “I just want to show you to my parents!” It exclaims, running after me as I duck beneath the bed. “They never believe me when I say that there’s a monster beneath the bed.” It says quietly as I duck back into the shadows, I can’t be ever seen again. Their eyes, their horrid faces. It’s the stuff of nightmares. 

And yet, I’m the monster under the bed.