Edge of the Knife | Teen Ink

Edge of the Knife

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

“Macy! Macy! Come quick!” My sister yells from within the living room. The panic in her voice gives me an idea into what she’s wanting me to look at.

Sure enough, as I walk into the room, the news is on, talking about another murder. “-knows who is causing these murders. Online social media users have dubbed the killer as ‘The Sunset Stalker’.”

“Turn it off.” I say, angry about the news coverage. I understand that covering said murders is important, but I hate that they’re focusing so much on it.

Lucille shakes her head, and the news lady continues. “Police are advising all young adults to stay inside after sunset, and to not leave your house alone.” Hah. As if walking with someone had stopped them from being killed. “Most details on this killing have been kept from the media, as this one seems one of the Sunset Killer’s most gory killings.”

I snatch the remote from Lucille, turning off the TV. “I don’t want to watch this.”

“Macy! What about all of the killings? Shouldn’t we know-”

“You and I are safe, Lucy. Don’t worry about what the news is telling you. It’s stupid and takes up valuable time.” She grumbles, but doesn’t say anything else.

As much as I tell her she’s safe, she never believes me. Mom and Dad both died by murder as well. To be fair, however, they were both god awful parents that shouldn’t have ever been parents. 

To be fair to Lucille, I can understand her paranoia. Since our parents died, she’s always believed that we’re to be next in the line of murders. I’m paranoid as well, but not about being murdered by this so-called sunset killer.

So far, however, I think I’m one of the only people that’s actually made a connection to all of the murder cases. All of them were from my graduating class. All of them stood on the same stage that I did when we officially became adults.

I haven’t told Lucille yet. I don’t think I can tamper with her mental state any longer. Besides, then she probably wouldn’t let me leave the house ever again, even if I left in the middle of the day.

I chuckle to myself as I walk back to my room, flipping through my yearbook. I haven’t made a decision on who will die next. The killings are always so random. It’s easy to understand why no one has yet even made the same connection I have. 

I never had any friends when I was in school. Unless you counted my sister. Of course, I started with my parents, then worked my way up. They always suspected that I was the rotten apple of the family. Surely, they weren’t wrong, which is why I had to . . . dispose of them.

I settle on one of the cheerleaders. Her thin eyes and heavy makeup make my skin crawl. She will be the Sunset Stalker’s next target.

I put a few things into a small bag, looking out the window. I pick up my knife, rubbing my thumb on the edge. Twelve down, only a whole class to go. This is going to be fun. It always is.