Giselle and Hector- Hansel and Gretel Adaption | Teen Ink

Giselle and Hector- Hansel and Gretel Adaption

May 4, 2023
By Anonymous


“ Giselle you're going to drop the camera if you hold it like that. Give it to me. We left our phones at home so this is the only way you can take any pictures. ” Hector scoffed at his sister as he took the camera from her. 

Giselle and Hector were both on a nighttime stroll in the city to get some fresh air. They hoped that a walk in the moonlight would relax or calm their nerves, and maybe get their minds off the issues at home. Their parents were arguing about money problems, and went as far as to blame the kids. Giselle and Hector overheard this conversation and decided to escape that environment for a little while. 

They walked past many buildings and restaurants, but couldn’t eat anything because they didn’t have the money. After a few hours they reached an old crosswalk trail that seemed to lead to the sketchier side of town. 

“Let’s go inside just for a little bit, how bad can it be?” he responded, stepping over the crosswalk. Giselle hesitated but followed her brother. An hour passed and the two were deep in the middle of nowhere. 

“ We should start heading back before we get lost Hector.” Giselle said.

“ That’s why I’ve been leaving a trail on the ground by marking spots on the ground. Wait, do you smell that? It smells like dessert!” he yelled excitedly. They followed the direction of the smell and reached a restaurant that appeared to be closing. 

There were freshly baked cookies and pastries on a table inside the restaurant with a sign that said ‘take as many as you please’. After barely eating anything for the past few weeks, Hector and Giselle were starving and entered inside. It was a nicely decorated place with dim lighting and so many confections and sweets. They had never seen this many treats in their life, and began tasting everything in sight, finally satisfied with a meal. 

“Who goes there? ” an old lady asks, as she slowly steps out of the kitchen. 

“ We are so sorry for intruding. We were really hungry and it smelled really good. We are truly sorry-” Giselle apologized.

“ Oh no worries kids, I can’t really see well so I was anxious about an intruder. Can you guys help me with something in the kitchen please? I am not sure what this recipe says.” she asked kindly. The siblings nodded their heads, happily entering the small room, which they soon realized was empty, besides a hot oven. The old woman quickly shut the door, locking them inside. 

 “ What is happening?” Giselle spoke, shocked as she looked at her brother. The old lady was smiling psychotically and her eyes were wide. 

“ What is going to happen dear, is that I will finally have a good meal after a long time.” she smirked, eyeing the knives. Hector’s heart dropped when he realized what was going to happen and looked at Giselle for a plan to escape. 

The old woman picked up two knives and began approaching the children, pushing them closer and closer to the hot oven. As she slowly treaded towards them, Giselle and Hector could feel the heat of the fire behind them, closing their eyes, awaiting the pain of the knife.