Him | Teen Ink

Him

December 1, 2021
By Toborowsky25 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Toborowsky25 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As I start to watch the next episode of my favorite show, I hear my phone buzz. I see that it’s a text from him. “I’ll be there at 7,” he says. I look at the time, and it is already 5:27 pm. Now I’m starting to panic thinking that I’m never going to be ready in time. I quickly take a shower and get ready.

It’s now 6:43 pm and I am finishing up my makeup. My phone goes off again, and it’s from him. “On my way, be ready.” I go to my closet and pick out a dark green dress. I just love the way it makes my hazel eyes pop and how well it compliments my brown hair and olive skin tone. I just love how confident I feel wearing it. It was 6:55 and I am finally ready to be picked up.

7:00 pm rolls around, and I’m waiting at the door to be picked up. I check my phone, no text, which is weird. 7:10 comes around and still no sign of him. I start to worry and think, is he still coming? Did he forget about me? Why isn’t he here?

 It is now 7:22, and I have not heard a word from him. I call him, no answer I wait a few minutes and call again, and still nothing. At this point, I go and sit down on my couch thinking, what happened? Is he hurt?

I never got a response from him, so I wipe off the makeup, throw my hair up in a bun and think of all the possible things that could have happened. Could he have stood me up? Maybe he just got lost? What if he got into a wreck? I lay in my bed staring at my white ceiling fan as it goes around and around and around. Finally, my tired eyes shut, and I fall asleep.

At 10:23 am I hear my phone buzzing uncontrollably. It is multiple messages from my friends asking if I am okay or if I have heard what happened? I am so confused and questioning everything.

 “What are they talking about?” I ask myself. I then look at the message that one of my friends has sent me. It is an article, “Man Killed by Drunk Driver.” As I start to read the article, it feels like my heart has dropped to my stomach.

 It was him. I couldn’t process anything that just happened. But before I can think, I hear a knock at my door; it is my best friend. She grabs me as I start crying hysterically into her arms. I just couldn’t believe what happened.

 I am so furious with the other driver.  I need to know who it is and why they thought to do such a dumb thing. They killed him and now he is gone forever. All I could think about is how I wanted the other driver gone forever too, and it wasn’t long before they would be.  

The driver wasn’t dead, no. The police had brought the driver into questioning, and not long after that, he was locked up serving the death penalty. Knowing that made me happy. I was glad that they were gone. That meant he could think about his actions and realize what he had done. I hope he regrated all of it.  I hope they realize what life they took. I hope they realized that they took my father’s life.


The author's comments:

This short story is about a girl who is getting ready for a fancy evening with someone special. She waits and waits then finally she gets the text. This texts will forever change her life. Is it a good text or is it a bad one?