Women Hero | Teen Ink

Women Hero

November 13, 2018
By selmasuleiman BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois
selmasuleiman BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

It was the year 1918, Angie Lack was out at her favorite restaurant Dee’s.  Angie finds a seat, sat softly on the ornate french stools of the brightly lit restaurant. She redirects her attention to why she was there.  She looks around, and her target was set. Her target was looking around for a women to pick up...that was Ang’s element of surprise, she wasn’t just any woman, she was a Beetle.  Beetles, an illegal organization, hunted down the men who violated the sanctity of women and assumed rightful privilege to reign over them. In that time period women were taken less than what they were worth.  They weren’t aloud to vote, most to all didn’t work. Deep breaths, stay calm, don’t overthink it she kept telling herself. She knew what had to be done, and she was Angie Lack, it will be accomplished. She lacked no courage, she was a Beetle.  

“Ang you got this, stay calm.”  I kept telling myself this, until I had myself under control.  He’s getting up, and walks over to a woman who looks at least ten years younger than him.  I could hear their conversation from where I was sitting. “Ma’am, I have been eyeing you, and I finally decided to come over here and buy you a drink.” I could hear the cockiness in his voice.  She looks up from her book, that you could tell she was very invested in. “No thank you.” She said politely. She showed so little interest and looked back down to her book. “Woah, I come over here like a gentlemen and offer you a drink, there has to be a reason on why you declined.”  He looked so hurt, it was absolutely priceless. “Sorry, I didn’t know I had to give you a reason for declining your request, I simply don’t want to.” His mouth drops open. He looked shocked that a woman actually said that to him. He did not want to cause a scene so he angrily walks out and slam the door behind him.  Target has left.

Little did he know I was there, watching his every move, and ready to strike at any moment.  I was ready, he was in the perfect position. I was in the mood for a drink, I chuckle under my breath because he does not know what was coming.   

Strike now. I follow him outside, I could hear all the movement around me when I walked out of that bar. I heard honking of the taxis, chattering of people all around me, so much movement...no on will hear his screams.  Perfect. My thoughts went wild that moment. I had that moment of doubt. Do I kill this man? I know he deserves it, but he is a human. I went over these thoughts millions of times, yes he did deserve it. I wasn’t a murder.  When I kill him, two innocent humans survive. An innocent young lady won’t get beat everytime her husband comes home drunk. The young girl who has barely expiernced life would have a fresh start, with no devils over her. I saw the evidence he left on the woman.  He left dark purple circles all over her body. You could mostly tell how much he hurt her from her face. She looked drained out, like she has no attention to keep living, like she was ready to quit. When I get done with him, hell for this family will be over. The image of this family is what motivates me to go through with it, I keep their image in my head.  

Go now.  Go now. Then I go.  “Hello, I’m afraid you dropped this.” I reach out and hand him a random wallet, he takes it, the plan is a go.  “I am afraid this isn’t mine miss…” he looks at me from my head to my toe, and has a smirk. “Miss right?” I laugh, “Yes.”  I put on a flirtatious smile. He thinks i'm interested. “May I offer you a drink for this kindness?” He had a look in his eye, he thought I was a girl he’s picking up from the streets.  He looked so innecont and fake, he looked like a good person with good intentions, he acted like a single man. “Gladly.” Here goes nothing. “I’m going to take you to my favorite place, Antino’s.” he says.  Lucky for me, we are standing right next to an alley. “I have heard of that lovely place, I know of a shortcut, right through this alley.” He lets me lead, like im in power and i am the leader, what all girls love to feel.  “Miss, where are you taking me?” He laughs and grabs my hand, I keep leading. We turn into a dark corner, I push him against a wall. Knife in one hand, him on the wall, no one can see us, perfect. He leans in for a kiss, I lean in with my knife.  Now, it is time. I jab it in him and turn it, I can feel his flesh ripping. Blood runs down his body, his bloods all over my hands. I felt like a murder for a quick second, then I picture his family. I wonder if his life flashed in front of him? I stabbed him in the spot that will make him suffer a long, miserable death.  “You b****! What have you done!” I smirk, I let him fall to the ground. “You had it coming.” He is trash, and I wanted him to know that. I spit on his face, trash. I turn and walk away, I can hear in the background his screams, threats, and swears.

In this time period, women were nothing.  No justice was given for women. The world sees the bruises on these womens, but they stay silent.  When women go to the police, it ends in getting beaten more. I grew up with an abusive father, he never laid a hand on me, but he broke my heart every night that he came home drunk.  I swore from the time I can remember that I would help women like my mom. I have saved many women, and killed many demons. This is the only way these women could be saved. The rebellion has started.  


The author's comments:

This piece was made and inspired by the current struggle women are going through.  The lack of womens rights in todays day and in the old days, how women would rebel.