The Problems with Aspiring Writers: Scene 1 | Teen Ink

The Problems with Aspiring Writers: Scene 1

May 12, 2016
By Carson_Beck GOLD, Austin, Texas
Carson_Beck GOLD, Austin, Texas
16 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Barry's real superpower isn't speed, it's hope. The kid's got an endless reservoir. Thinks it's all gonna work out!" - HR (The Flash)


Scene 1
(Lights up, three high school boys on stage. TRAVER is standing, JUSTICE is sitting on a desk, LOMENICK is sitting in a seat playing a portable game.)

TRAVER. The man, (quietly) 1… 2… 3…,(normal) wrapped head to toe in chains, (quietly) 1… 2… 3…, (normal) hobbled from his dusty bed to the window, (quietly) 1… 2… 3…, (normal) and whispered to his beet, (quietly) 1…2…3…, (normal) which sat in his window sill, (quietly) 1…2…3…, (normal) “I’ve missed this view.” However, (quietly) 1… 2… 3…, (normal) what he really did was scream frantically, (quietly) 1… 2… 3…, (normal) “LET ME OUTTA HERE!” The end.

JUSTICE. Traver your storys never cease to amaze me. The only way someone could write such an insane character would be if the writer themself wasn't quite sane.

TRAVER. I can't tell if that's a compliment.

LOMENICK. Why a beat? Why not a rutabaga?

JUSTICE. What's a rutabaga?

TRAVER. Good idea Lomenick, I knew there was a reason we kept you around!

LOMENICK. Excelsior.

JUSTICE. Seriously, what's a rutabaga? (silence) No one wants to tell me? (silence)  Fine. Hey Traver, why do you count to three every time you read a comma?

TRAVER. What do you mean?

JUSTICE. You count to three under your breath every time you read a comma.

TRAVER. Do I? Ah... No I think you're mistaken.

JUSTICE. No I'm not- Lomenick you heard it too right? Lomenick? Lomenick what're you doing?

LOMENICK. Trying to beat my high score. Why?

JUSTICE. What game? (pause) Actually no it doesn't matter, we're in a club meeting! You know, writing club? Did you bring anything you wrote?

LOMENICK. Yep

JUSTICE. Wanna read it for us?

LOMENICK. Nah I'm good. You wanna read it Traver?

TRAVER. Sure!

JUSTICE. Are you always playing that?

LOMENICK. Yep 24/7.
(pause)
JUSTICE. You're an addict.

LOMENICK. Yes, and you have a third nipple.

TRAVER. Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

JUSTICE. What? Wait... How did you... How did you know that?

LOMENICK. Dude we've slept over at your house before, and you don't sleep with a shirt on.

TRAVER. Well who does?

LOMENICK. I wonder if girls do?
(pause)
TRAVER. Lomenick.... Are you a pervert?

LOMENICK. Where'd you get that idea from?

TRAVER. You seem like you contemplate girls sleeping regularly.

JUSTICE. I can't believe you guys knew. Why didn't you tell me?

LOMENICK. To avoid a conversation about your third nipple, you know... this conversation we're having now.

TRAVER. It is a pretty weird topic, even for us.

JUSTICE. Well you brought it up!

LOMENICK. (dramatically) It was the only way. You were... Being an ass.

JUSTICE. How?

LOMENICK. You were pointing things out. Don't point things out, it upsets the balance.

TRAVER. (dramatically) The balance was upset, we had to calm it down with an offering... Your third nipple!

JUSTICE. Don't say it like that... It's like you're talking about Cthulu or something.

TRAVER. Maybe I am.

JUSTICE. Fine. Anyways, if we're not gonna read Lomenick's story, what are you playing all the time Lomenick?

LOMENICK. Pac-man of course, what other games are there?

TRAVER. Tic tac toe?

JUSTICE. Yeah I could name a few. You never answered my question though Traver. Why do you pause, verbally might I add, every time you read a comma?

TRAVER. Someone told me that you’re supposed to pause at commas, but they never said for how long.

JUSTICE. You’re supposed to pause for a second at most, but why do you count to three out loud?

TRAVER. Oh… (thinks about it) I don’t know.

JUSTICE. Well. Ok. I guess that issue is solved.
LOMENICK. What a boring conclusion.

TRAVER. They can’t all be exciting; this is real life after all.

JUSTICE. Anyone know when the bell rings?

TRAVER. Likely at some point sometime.

JUSTICE. Oh okay, thanks that helps. Not.

TRAVER. You’re welcome.

LOMENICK. NO! S***! ARGHHHH!

JUSTICE. What?

LOMENICK. (practically in tears) That damn red ghost! I was there man! I was there! I almost beat my score!

TRAVER. Lomenick, (pause) shut up. Stop cursing.

LOMENICK. Fine. You could of asked nicer though.

MRS.CASSIAS. How was writing club guys?
( at the same time)
TRAVER. Eh, pretty fun.

JUSTICE. Great time. (LOMENICK lays his head on his desk and groans)

MRS.CASSIAS. Good, hopefully I can get to see it next time. (bell rings)

JUSTICE. Well, I’m off. Lomenick, get over it we have class to attend.

LOMENICK. (muffled from laying face on desk) I’m already in my next class.

TRAVER. No it’s an A day, we have science.

LOMENICK. (still muffled) Oh yeah. (LOMENICK gets up sluggishly)

TRAVER. Let’s go buddy! (TRAVER slaps LOMENICK hard on the back as they leave the classroom)

MRS.CASSIAS. Those guys sure are energetic.
 


The author's comments:

SCENE CHARACTERS:
TRAVER- Counts to three under his breath every time he reads a comma
JUSTICE- Has a third nipple, is unaware that his friends know
LOMENICK- Is always playing his game. ALWAYS.
MRS. CASSIAS- English teacher