The Music in Life | Teen Ink

The Music in Life

By Anatolia SILVER, Lander, Wyoming
Anatolia SILVER, Lander, Wyoming

Cast of Characters
Cedric:  A wealthy young gentleman from an upper-class family who plans to go to Oxford to study chemistry. Although he has a talkative, open personality he doesn’t always say what he is really feeling. Cedric is a talented musician and used to dream of playing the cello in a string duo with his friend Mary. However, he has now sold his cello because his parents are pressuring him to get rid of ‘distractions’.
Mary:  CEDRIC’s friend, perhaps a little more than that. Mary is sensitive and gentle, but isn’t afraid to speak her mind to Cedric. She comes from a poor, middle class family. Mary plays the violin, and has been playing music with Cedric since they were kids. Mary has Leukemia, but has been stable and healthy for a while. Mary is concerned that Cedric is losing sight of his calling.
Mark:  CEDRIC’s father. He thinks that the best thing for his son is a prestigious education and career.
Voice 1: Man’s voice
Voice 2: Man’s voice

Scene 1
(Lights come up on a wealthy-looking library/parlor room with a table and two chairs CR. There is a rug C, a shelf with books around UC, a very small table with an ornate tablecloth and a pitcher of water with glasses CL, a coat rack with a long men’s coat hanging on it, and an imaginary window that opens and close UL. On the table there is a chemistry book, paper, and writing accoutrements. Cedric is sitting at the table CR reading the book in a bewildered fashion. He picks up the book and paces back and forth downstage. Eventually there is a knocking from offstage.)

MARY
                                                      (From offstage)
“Hello? Cedric?”

CEDRIC
                  (Gets up, crosses to CR, and opens the ‘door’. Mary enters from CR.)
Sorry, I was just in the middle of something.

MARY
What were you doing?
CEDRIC
Oh, just studying. I don’t get any of it- the enthalpy of fusion and all this rot.

MARY
Oh, yes, chemistry. Studying for Oxford then?

CEDRIC
Yes, I’m rather tired of it.

MARY
Well, good thing we’re practicing today. That always gets things off your mind.
                           (Takes out her violin)
It’s been so long since we’ve played together. I’ve missed it you know.
                                   (Looks around)
Where’s your cello?

CEDRIC
Uh, yes, I feel rather bad Mary, the things is (pause) I’ve sold it.

(A few moments of silence)

MARY
Your cello?!

CEDRIC
Yes, I should have told you earlier, but I couldn’t get a hold of you on the phone, and I thought it might be nice to, you know, have a cup of tea anyway. I’m sorry-I mean, if you really wanted to practice. I thought you’d be fine just catching up…

MARY
Oh, well, yes (pause). Have you really though? That is-why would you sell your cello?

CEDRIC
I need money, for Oxford. To buy all the books: the best ones. My parents told me I should.

MARY
I don’t understand, you’ve had that cello since that Christmas we begged your parents to let you play…and now, well I was hoping we could play together again. How could you sell it?

CEDRIC
I don’t know…
                          (Pause)
Well, the thing is, I’m not going into music anyway.  If I’m going into chemistry, why do I need my cello? It’s a distraction.

MARY
A distraction?

CEDRIC
Yes, I mean-it isn’t important.

MARY
Really? I’d disagree.
CEDRIC
What do you mean? I’ve told you I can’t go into music. It was a lovely dream, Mary, but it wasn’t real.

MARY
Perhaps pursuing this Oxford-chemistry-business is the thing that isn’t real. It’s not you.

CEDRIC
Of course it’s me. If we started that duo together, it’d just be, impractical. I’m looking to the future, Mary.

MARY
                               (Slightly sarcastic)
The future, yes.

CEDRIC
It was a dream, I would have loved it-but, it really…

MARY
It isn’t good enough.

CEDRIC
No Mary, it’s just, my parents are relying on me. You know that.

MARY
Yes, I know…
                               (A few moments of silence)
It’s just, I wonder if sometimes, what ‘matters’ is not really what matters.

CEDRIC
Sounds rather beyond me.

MARY
Sometimes you’re such a boy Cedric.
CEDRIC
                                                       (Chuckles)
Yes, well, what exactly are you referring-?

MARY
I don’t know…well, with this Oxford thing-

CEDRIC
Oxford? You don’t think it matters?

MARY
No, that’s not-

CEDRIC
A solid profession, college? Even though you can’t afford it you can’t pretend you don’t want it.

(Silence)

MARY
No, I can’t afford it.
CEDRIC
I’m sorry Mary- that was rather abrasive of me.

MARY
No, I can’t pretend to know what it’s like, to have what you have, but it’s not so horrible to me. There are things that are worth more.

CEDRIC
To be honest, Mary, I’d say that’s all good hypothetically, but it doesn’t really hold true…for real life.

MARY
Why not?

CEDRIC
We can’t really be ourselves in the real world, and live off doing what we love.

MARY
I think you could.  You told me so.

CEDRIC

(As Cedric speaks, Mary slowly goes over to the table CR and leans on it, looking dizzy)
I was younger then-it was silly to believe we could go on the road together. I mean, it was a dream. I need a profession that will pay, that will provide. Cello is not enough. I could never do it. We have to leave things behind.
MARY
I suppose you’re leaving people behind as well?

CEDRIC
No Mary…it’s not- are you alright? It hasn’t been getting worse, the leukemia? Mary?

MARY
No, I’m fine, just a little dizzy.

CEDRIC
Let me get you some water.
       (Goes over to table UL, pours water into a glass, brings it back and hands it to Mary)
Here, sit down.

(A concerto for a violin quartet (music 1) begins to play)

CEDRIC
Oh dear-my friends across the street-I’ll go close the window.

MARY
No, don’t close it…
                                 (pause)
Sometimes, just a little music is all you need. (music 1 fades) (sing song) “Don’t lose the music in your life…”
CEDRIC
Sorry?

MARY
It’s a song my mother used to sing…
(Hums it slightly, then stops in a sudden realization and music 1 comes in at normal volume)
We used to play this together, didn’t we?
CEDRIC
Yes… I remember it!
     (They listen in silence)
(CEDRIC goes up and holds out his hand)
I wonder, Mary, if you’re feeling up for it…

(MARY takes his hand and stands up. They dance: slow to medium paced. Perhaps a waltz.)

CEDRIC
                   (CEDRIC and MARY slow to a stop)

You know Mary, I wish you were coming with me, to Oxford.

(A moment’s pause)

MARY
                              (Goes to sit down and laughing slightly)
Yes, well, I hope you won’t forget me.

CEDRIC
Of course not. Are you sure you’re alright? The dancing?

MARY
No, it’s not that, I, really, I’m fine…And the important things Cedric, promise me you won’t forget them.

CEDRIC
I won’t Mary, but I think I know what should be important.
       (looking away from Mary)
What I’m doing, everyone says it’s right.
                 (pause)
Well, I suppose I could call for some tea, would you-?

(Mary passes out)

CEDRIC
Mary!

(Fades to black)
(After a few moments, lights turn on again)

Scene 2
(No set changes, same room. CEDRIC is pacing. MARK enters from UL)

CEDRIC
How is she?

MARK
They said that the worst is over, she’s resting now.

CEDRIC
I can’t believe it, I thought the treatments were over-that she was fine.
          (pause)
I suppose we can just be grateful now, that nothing worst has happened.
(Moments of silence)

MARK
Cedric, I’m afraid there’s something else.

CEDRIC
Something else, I thought you said the worst was over?

MARK
Right now, yes. But, the thing is, that should only last couple of years. Then, there won’t be anything they can do.

CEDRIC
She only has a couple of years?

MARK
I’m afraid so.

(Silence)

CEDRIC
I…don’t understand…

MARK
Yes, it was very unexpected. I’m sorry, Cedric.

CEDRIC
A couple of years.
(long pause)
I’ll be at college for most of them.
MARK
Yes, I know.

CEDRIC
You know, father, suppose I…

(Longish pause)

MARK
Yes?

CEDRIC
Suppose-the thing is, why should I be at college?

MARK
What do you mean why should you? Of course you should. Don’t get carried away here Cedric.

CEDRIC
It’s not that-I think I’ve been wrong. Really.
The things is, I won’t be going. At least not until Mary-
(pause)
There’s no way I’m going when she only has-I won’t.

MARK
Cedric, I won’t allow it.

CEDRIC
               (More to self)
…and even then, why should it be chemistry, Oxford, all this. How should I know this is what I’m meant to be doing, anyway?

MARK
This is what you’re meant to be doing, we’ve already made that decision. I won’t allow this Cedric, especially when you’re emotional and-

CEDRIC
You will allow it, father, I’ll stay with Mary-and we’ll play music, across the county if we can. She’ll be well enough for that, won’t she, for a time?

MARK
Yes, but-

CEDRIC
Then it’s settled, of course I’d have to ask her, but she’s always wanted-

MARK
This is absurd.

CEDRIC
The truth is, father, it isn’t absurd. I know what you’d say: I’ve had all these opportunities. But, it’s only one side of life. I still haven’t been able to recognize what matters, what makes everything fit together. So what does it matter what I have? Mary’s always known, what she’s meant to do…

MARK
I’d say that’s rather ridiculous, Cedric.
(pause)
And yes, I would say: look at all these opportunities given to you! A million students would beg to be in your place.

CEDRIC
Very well, they can have my place. As long as they know that it is their place. It’s not mine. If I lived my life, as a wealthy chemist with all the prestige you want for me, father, it would be like going onto a stage, to play a concert, without any music.

MARK
Don’t go out that door, Cedric, you can’t just make an autonomous decision. You were lucky to get into Oxford, and whose knows if you’ll get in again? Or if I’ll be so willing to pay for you next time around?

CEDRIC
Very well, that is your choice father, I don’t mind.
At the moment the important thing is that I’m with Mary, for as long as I can be.

MARK
I’m not permitting you to leave, Cedric.

CEDRIC
Then I shall permit myself.

(CEDRIC exits UR)

MARK
Cedric!
        (Crosses over, then stops, and sits down at table CR)
       (Music 1 begins again).
Oh for goodness sake!
        (Goes over to the window, and stops in front of it)
Why do you gentlemen always have to play outside? Can’t you find a private room or something?

VOICE 1:
Well, sir, it seems to me that we’re probably the only music you ever hear around here nowadays.
(laughter)

MARK
My son has been rather busy, he was the one who played. Lately, he has quite lost (slight pause)-

VOICE 2:
The music? What a pity…

MARK
Indeed no, I was going to say: “He has quite lost his senses”… Oxford, gentleman, he has refused to go.

VOICE 2:
Ah, well, at least he hasn’t lost ‘the music’. You know, gentleman, that reminds me of a song.

(They begin to sing and play a song including the lyrics: “Don’t lose the music in your life…”, the song Mary that had been attempting to sing in Scene 1))

MARK
                   (Closes the window (sounds of music fades). Has a moment of decision, takes coat off the coat-rack and puts it on)
(To self) Why am I even telling them this?
    (Exits UR)

(The musicians from offstage enter from left, still playing. After about a minute, curtains close and music slowly fades out)
End

Lately I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life, and it inspired this play.