Ask me How I am | Teen Ink

Ask me How I am

By MarieBitant SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin
MarieBitant SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin

Setting: A therapist’s office with both the therapist and the patient in the room. The patient is sitting in a lounge chair across from the therapist with a side table next to him with a box of kleenex on top. 

Therapist: So John, has anything new happened since the last time we spoke? Is there anything troubling you?
John: Well actually yes.
Therapist: Tell me about it John.
John: Well, uh, okay. It all happened on Thursday when I went to reconnect with some old friends.
Therapist: Are these old friends the friends we have spoke of before John?
John: Yeah...they are and, well, when I was with them on Thursday we, uh, we did what we use to do together. You know?
Therapist: So you relapsed John.
John: Yeah.
John starts to tear up and reaches over to the table next to him and gets a tissue.
Therapist: How does this make you feel John?
John: Uh, pretty bad...really bad.
John blows his nose and starts to softly sob.
Therapist: Okay.
John: Okay?
Therapist: I don’t have anymore time to talk to you today John your time is up.
John: But it hasn’t even been 5 minutes. I payed for an hour didn’t I?
Therapist: Yeah ya did John but you’re really starting to bum me out and I would appreciate it if you just left.
John: But you’re my therapist you can’t just...
Therapist stands up quickly.
Therapist: WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE ABOUT YOU JOHN?
John and his therapist stare blankly at one another
John stands up.
John: You’re the most recommended therapist in San Francisco and not to mention the most expensive. I have been a patient of yours for months now what is your deal lady?
Therapist sits back down
Therapist: Do you have any idea how exhausting it is to listen to people complain and cry everyday John?
John sits down.
John: No, I...
Therapist: You don’t know.
Pause in speaking
Therapist: I have to listen and try to make people feel better about their lives and their problems when my life is in complete chaos. and I don’t have anyone to ask me how my day is.
John looks down and hands his therapist the box of tissues.
John: So, then, how are you feeling today?

Cam_is_Away said...
on Jun. 14 2015 at 1:36 am
Cam_is_Away, Non, California
I got one of those goofy smiles on my face right now... Besides the format of the play (is this a play??), great job! The story is just fantastic. I loved it, this is one of my favorites. You scripted the play very well, and did the whole thing almost perfect. Everything has a purpose, perfect! The ending was so sweet and a bit humorous. I deeply enjoyed it, great job!