History can be fun: Second industrial revolution | Teen Ink

History can be fun: Second industrial revolution

February 5, 2022
By Emma_Owens GOLD, Rowan, Nebraska
Emma_Owens GOLD, Rowan, Nebraska
10 articles 1 photo 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.”
-C.S. Lewis


                                                                      Scene 1

N.E.A.R production presents (drumroll) Innovators of the Second Industrial Revolution.

(applause)

 Reagan: Welcome to the show.

 

                                      Alexander Graham Bell Scene 2

Eva: (holding up a flip phone) Behold!!! This is the oldest phone known to man: a flip phone!                          

(Addie enters, pushing Eva out of the way)  

Addie: Oh, be real, that thing is definitely not the oldest phone (holds up the old phone) this is!  I should know after all I was the one who invented it.

(Natalie enters) Natalie: No, I helped!

Addie: Yeah, whatever.  As I was saying,

Natalie: I helped!

Addie: Now I don’t remember what I was saying!  Thanks, a lot!  (Pause for a long time) Oh, I remember now!  So, I am Alexander Graham Bell, you may call me Alex.  This is my assistant, ... I don’t really know what his name is.                   (whispering) Sorry. 

Natalie: Thomas Augustus Watson.

Addie: Right, anyways I

Natalie: (hits him and interrupts) We-

Addie:(Air quotes with “We”) “We” invented the telephone before the flip phone! 

Eva: I can’t believe there was a phone before the flip phone! Tell me how you invented it! And did you invent Snapchat too because I think the dog filter is way too old and…

Addie: What exactly is a Snapchat? You know I don’t want to know. I will tell you the story of how we showed the world the first telephone.

Reagan: It was Winter of 1915 at the San Francisco World’s Fair.

Addie: I remember that!

Natalie: I was in San Francisco. You were in New York. It was the first long-distance call. The world was watching. Sorry diva moment.

Addie: And it worked! Then things kept improving, I died! Then new inventors were born and now is now. 

 

 

The Wright Brothers Scene 4

 

Addie: So far, you’ve learned about Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Edison, but you must meet the Wright Brothers; Ladies and gentlemen, the Wright brothers: Wilbur and (turns around) Charlotte???  Guys! This isn’t Charlotte’s Web. Take those off!   (Natalie and Eva take off costume) This is the story of the Wright Brothers! Let me show you.

(Dreamy noises)

Addie: It was a normal day in the Wright Bicycle Shop, and Orville and Wilbur were working.

(Eva and Natalie dance while singing.)

Addie: This is the part where they go crazy so let's fast forward a little.

               (Continue singing)

Addie: I must not have fast-forwarded enough.

                    (Continue singing)  

Eva:   Tell me what you want, what you really really want.

Natalie: So, tell me what you want what you really really want.

Eva: I’ll tell you what I want and what I really really want.

Natalie: So, tell me what you want what you really really want.

(Reagan enters) Reagan: I really really really really want to buy a bicycle.

Eva: K, so do you want a mountain bike or a tricycle, or do you just want a regular bike, ooooor do you want one with-

Natalie: or do you want to be a witness to the first man in the air.

Reagan: Yeah! I will do that.

Eva: Do what? 

Reagan: Be a witness to the first man in the air.

Eva: (sounding heartbroken) So you don’t want to buy a bike?

Reagan: No, I still want to buy a bike. (Pause) I’ll take a regular one, please.

Addie: In Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, -

Eva: We’re in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina and here we go!

Addie: I already said that. Anyways, there flying in the air-

Natalie: What else were we going to fly in?

Addie: I don’t know! They were in the air, which at the time was a pretty big feat and the four people who were watching couldn’t believe their eyes. 

Natalie: Yeah, I was scared half to death in those 12 seconds, but we finally proved it was possible.  We redesigned and made another plane, and it was a larger success. So, I decided that we would become a company and sell planes and give piloting lessons.  Then Wilbur died, so I was on my own.

Eva: Yeah, I died of Typhoid Fever.  It wasn’t that much fun.  

Addie: So, there you have it folks- the Wright Brothers!

 

  

 

 

Scene 5

Emme: Behold the wheel 

Addie: Cavemen are not part of the second industrial revolution 

Emme: soooooooo…. I thought this was a play about inventors and I am literally the first inventor ever.

Addie: Yes but-

Emme: I was an inventor!

(Molly comes in holding a bag of peanuts while Natalie comes in on the other side holding a spoon and a jar of peanut butter)

Natalie: Hey, wasn’t this the George Washington Carver scene?

Addie: Well, it was-

Emme: I’m an inventor!

Molly: I thought it was the second industrial revolution

Addie: Well, it was but now-

(Emme interrupts) Emme: I’m an inventor but more specifically I am the first inventor. Y’all would have never even- 

Natalie: Do cavemen say y’all?

Scene 6 All: (smiling on a mental count of 3 ) We’re N.E.A.R Productions and that’s the show (bow) 


The author's comments:

I wrote most of this in like 5th grade for a project but I revised it and made it less educational and more fun. The people in here are the names of my friends, some of her sisters, and of course, me. This is like my favorite thing to find on my computer when I clean out all the other old school projects. (The ones that aren't as great as this) I really hope you enjoy it and hopefully, it is not too bad.