WasteLand | Teen Ink

WasteLand

May 25, 2018
By AlexStoll BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
AlexStoll BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Year 2408, 8 years right after the nuclear blast.
Cincinnati was a waste town; you could only hear the radioactive wolves howling into the midnight and the tumbleweeds moving gracefully in the wind. The dust following behind them carries the baggage of thousand year old bones, ash and war. There have been many wars fought on this ground for a multitude of reasons and mean statements regarding another tribe. I go by Claptrap but my mom named me after my father Carmine. I got the nickname ClapTrap from making traps out of anything I could find. My Father and Mother died when I was a teenager. The nuclear blast claimed their lives. Lost and confused but also wanting to end it all, knowing they had died. I wandered around for hours starving, alone and cold. I see people breaking something at a nearby store just across Beechmont Avenue at what looked to be a grocery store. I start to approach the store in a cowering fashion, I see the people carrying guns with skull masks on. Timid and shy, I speak, “Hello! Anyone there? I’m hungry and alone.”  I walk into the store, only the rats squeaking and shelves creaking. I remember as tiny child walking and roaming Kroger the sky blue walls with all the seafood decorations and fresh steaks every Friday for the old and young people to cookout and play cornhole. Sadly that’s not the place I spent a portion of my livelihood at. But now, I look down all three of the aisles and see despair and hopelessness, the store being converged on by rats and spider webs that could hold people and radioactive rats that could kill a human in seconds. Suddenly an image races across my eye, I intently try to pull my eyesight together to formulate an image. “Hey, you there, can you please help me?” I asked.
I heard a weak voice say to me, “Please go, I don’t want any trouble. I-I-I don’t have anything please…..”
As I calmly approached this apprehensive woman as slow as possible she turns to look behind her as she backs up more and more into the wall eventually walking into the wall with no more moves on her chess board.


The author's comments:

I wrote this because of my love for survival books and thrillers.