Just One Taste | Teen Ink

Just One Taste

By BIGBOI123 BRONZE, New York City, New York
BIGBOI123 BRONZE, New York City, New York

We are only allowed to eat when we are born and when we are on our deathbed. I still remember that feeling of the explosion of flavors hitting my tastebuds my first day of life. The only way mankind gets nutrients now is through routine injections every day. This is all because over many, many, many generations of human life, we have become allergic to basically every type of food ever made. But though we are not allowed to eat food, everyone wants to in secret.

“Have you done your injection today James” my mom yelled from her room. “Of course I have,” I lied as usual. I’m sick of the repetition. But today I was going to break that repetition and have a taste of real food. Not to much, just a little. My friend Thomas said he knew someone who smuggles these forbidden goods in and out of New York. He told me yesterday that he has an apple hidden in his bedroom that is ready to be eaten. I was ready to have some flavor in my life. I arrived to school and all I thought of were those times when humanity experienced the thrilling sense of taste. School was over before I knew it and a knot in my stomach built up. What happens if my parents see a speck of food in my mouth when I’m talking? What happens if the smuggler gets caught and we get in trouble? No, those things are extremely unlikely I thought to myself. I then went to my friend Thomas’s house to get that bite of that one apple. I knocked on his door and butterflies filled my stomach. He welcomed me in gave me some water, let me have a seat at his table, and placed the forbidden apple in front of me. I lifted the apple, took a look at the red fruit, and finally took a bite into it. It tasted amazing! It felt like my taste buds were smiling. But soon came this searing and hot feeling of pain. It felt like I was burning from the inside out. My heart was beating at an uncontrollable rate. Thomas looked at me with horror in his eyes and said “you are extremely swollen”. He started panicking trying to find something to help me though he couldn’t find a thing. I said to him “it tasted really good” and then blacked out.

This piece was inspired by a prompt in my creative writing class. I hope people will not take what they get for granted. Food is usually guaranteed for most people and living in a world with no food would be terrible.