Promises | Teen Ink

Promises

By MVReverie GOLD, Arlington, Texas
MVReverie GOLD, Arlington, Texas

I can't drown my demons; they know how to swim.

Kain bites his lip, a groan spilling out of his mouth, as he forcefully wrenched the knife from his arm. The men who had followed him to Section 4 were all slaughtered. Dwarves and humans alike massacred, their remains scattered on the green grass. The smell of the corpses was enough to make Kain gag. A brutal fist suddenly strikes him in the stomach, forcing the breath out of his body. His arms raise to cover his head from another hit. His head was ringing from the ruthless punch he had been on the receiving end of making his vision going blurry.
“Kain, I need you to go with Squadron 7 today. I understand that this isn’t your typical type of mission, but this is a quick in and out mission. It’ll be nothing.” Blackworth, his father, grins, teeth showing.
He shook his head, disoriented. Jagged breaths spilling out of his mouth, he tries his best to pull his short sword from his scabbard. With a swing of his arm, he brought his sword down, onto the body of the Orcs. A shiver wracked itself through his body as he stares at the dismantled body of the Orc, green blood spilling out of the wounds. Bile rises in his throat, tasting like acid as it burned his throat and tongue, disgust showed clearly on his face.
“I expect you back in one piece, alright?” He smiled, chuckling as he reached forward to ruffle the other’s hair. “Go make me proud.”
Kain chuckled at his father, rolling his eyes. “Of course. I promise.”

A shrill scream shakes him out of his reverie, however. Urging his exhausted legs to move, he runs towards the scream. Kain almost throws up at the scene. The blood of his soldiers on the ground, he stares in mortification at half of his squadron in the corner of the field. Kain looked in hopes to find the enemy. What he wasn’t expecting was a breath of warm air gusting down his back.
“We don’t know exactly what weapons they’re using, and it’s highly possible the Dragons have made an alliance with Them. Be careful, just in case. Come back to me, soon. I’ve got something for you.”
Kain jumped back, his hand on his scabbard, eyes searching for the enemy. His eyes went up, finding scales as big as his hand surrounding a green eye.
“It’s not confirmed, though. Don’t worry about it.”
Kain felt his heart fall into his stomach. It was confirmed. How can they win now? He needs to tell them. Suddenly, he saw a large foot,  scales still the color of vibrant red, even as it came crashing down onto him. For seconds, despite feeling like hours, all he felt was the pain, much like a thousand of elephants running him over, before all he felt was warmth. A final memory replays in his mind; one he hasn’t thought of for a while.
Kain was about seven years old. He was tired, having played outside with the other palace boys, but he couldn’t sleep yet. He had been called into his father’s office for breaking a window. “Now, Kain… What did I say about playing inside the House?”
Kain pouted, lips sticking out and his eyebrows furrowed. “I didn’t mean to! I promise I won’t play inside the house again! I promise! I promise!”
Kain’s father just sighed, before shaking his head. “Don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

Eldrige said...
Great story..so we'll put together..couldn't wait until the next page..loved it..