Fayden | Teen Ink

Fayden

May 11, 2016
By HalPal SILVER, Highland, Utah
HalPal SILVER, Highland, Utah
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Everyone always looked forward to their 19th birthday, everyone but me. It was the day you might become royalty. Might being the catch. It wasn’t your decision.
On everyones 15 birthday, you got sent away from your homes, whether you liked it or not. Soldiers would take you to a training facility. You would start being trained to become royalty. For 4 whole years, you did nothing but train. And then, on the day of your 16th birthday, they tell you if you make the cut or not. If you are worthy or not of becoming royalty. If you were, then bam, you now live in a castle. And if you don’t, then you get to go live back with your family.
Personally, my whole life, I always thought that becoming royal was stupid. A waste of time. I would rather play with my little siblings, and have fun with my friends. I remember my 15th birthday when the soldiers took me away. I was reading a book with my little sister Emma, when I heard a knock on the front door. I heard the door open, and then I heard my mother start to cry. I ran towards her, wondering what was the matter. When I saw her with tears streaming down my face, I became very scared. The next thing I knew, soldiers were grabbing me, and the last thing I heard was my mother’s screaming, and then everything went dark.

I remember when I awoke, not knowing where I was. Everyone around me was strangers. And then a woman approached me and said, “Welcome to Fayden.”

Now, here I am, 4 years later, on my 19th birthday. Today was the day. The big day. The day that I was hopefully going back to my family. I walk out of my bed chamber, and go knock on my best friend Maddie’s door. Me and Maddie both had the same birthday.
When Maddie answers the door she screams in joy, “Blair! I’m so excited!” As you can tell, Maddie wanted to become royalty, like badly. It was a something she wanted from the day she came to Fayden. Me on the other hand, I have wanted to go home since I got here.
“I can tell,” I reply to Maddie with sarcasm.
“It is going to be weird not living in Fayden anymore!” Maddie says to me, before we start walking towards the choice center. The choice center, in other words, the place where our whole life could change.

When we make it there, we start to head towards the stage. I take my seat in between Maddie and her twin brother Matt, and then I hear the intercom go off all over the room.
“Everyone! Welcome to Fayden. Today is the day, the day your child could become someone else!”
I search the crowd, seeing if I might be able to see my family, but I see them no where.
“We will now announce the winners!” The intercom says. I’m nervous. Honestly, I just want to go home. Maddie reaches out, and grabs my hand, and then I grab Matts.
“The winners are, Lia Monte, Nicholas Preller, Matt Louis…” I look over at Matt, and see a big smile on his face.
“You did it!” I whispered to him before I heard the last name being said.
“And Blair Mason.”


I am never truly going home. Never. I now live in a kingdom. Oh, and I forgot to mention. As soon as you arrive at your new castle, you have to marry the other person that came with you. I was going to be marrying Matt. Matt. The person I have had a crush on since the day I met him. The boy with the auburn hair, chocolate brown eyes. Matt. Maybe life wouldn’t be so bad afterall.   
End of chapter One