E-Plague | Teen Ink

E-Plague

April 12, 2016
By BESTBOOK BRONZE, Ardsley, New York
BESTBOOK BRONZE, Ardsley, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

3/2/77   

Giza, Egypt  

I dug into the soft sand with my shovel and hit something hard.It felt like a rock. I stopped digging so that I didn’t break whatever was there. I might need Jack for this one.
“Jack get over here” I yelled to him.
“Alright, I’m coming Mark!” Jack replied. I continued digging and finally found the skull of a mummy. I kept digging while being very cautious, so I didn’t break the body. By the time Jack got to me, I uncovered the whole body and looked at it wide-eyed. It must’ve been at least 150 years old. It was all broken up and there was a necklace and dusty jewels on and around the body. Jack started to look at it and saw a black spot on what looked like  the chest.
“Get away we need to transport this to some scientists so they can examine  it,” Jack said
“Why bring it to the scientists? We can make a fortune off this!” I said back
“No Mark not this one… This body contains a virus that we thought was ridden off.” He replied
“What virus is it?” I asked
“The Black Plague.” He whispered.

3/3/77
Manhattan, New York

“Everybody get your gear on and once you’re done get over here!” Aiden yelled as John came running with the Ebola sample so he could store it.
“JOHN BE CAREFUL WITH THAT!” Aiden yelled.
“Don’t worry Aiden, I got this,” John replied. After a few steps, John Stopped.
“Aiden watch this!” He yelled
“What is it,  John?” Aiden said as John threw the sample at one of his co-workers who was standing over the body. The man missed and the disease dropped onto the already infected body.
“EVERYBODY EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY!” Aiden yelled,  “THOSE DISEASES WILL COMBINE SOON SO GET OUT! THE NEW DISEASE WILL MOST LIKELY NOT BE AIRBORNE BUT STILL SO GO AS FAST AS YOU CAN!”

Everybody started running are over the place with their hands in the air.
“Move!” Yelled Ryan
“No! You move! I need to get James!” Yelled someone else
“Fine!” Yelled Ryan again. Aiden started to run to John and pushed him to the ground.
“YOU CREATED THIS MESS SO NOW FIX IT!” He yelled
“NO! I CAN’T DIE HERE JOHN!”
“WELL TOO BAD BECAUSE YOU WILL” and then they tackled each other to the ground and they didn’t get out.

 

4/23/77
Los Futuros Angeles

I walked into the abandoned house and thought. Why did this all happen? Mutated animals, millions killed by the second  and the deadly E-Plague going around spreading like wildfire. Why? I’m now living with my two friends that have not died yet. Their names are Alex and Aaron. We all are 13 years old  and are living in a dark cave with no food and no water. There used to be 4 of us in total. Now there are 3.  The 4th man. His name was Tony. When we were getting to this building a mutated animal got him. He had deadly poison in his body and died within a couple of days. We will keep fighting for life. Why? Because we have nothing to lose.

4/24/77
Los Futuros Angeles

I woke up to the sound of people screaming and a gun  shooting I got up from the bed and looked out my rusted window. What I saw was horrible. There were hundreds of infected people in the streets and one doctor who was wearing a lab coat and holding an Ak-47. All the infected people were walking towards him, asking if he could help. He didn’t want to catch the disease so  he ran away and shot at them. 10 dropped. Then 20. And it kept going until none was left. The man dropped down on the ground praying. Regretting that he did that when those people were just asking for his help. But what happened next was unbelievable. He took the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Only the best of the best survive now. And he wasn’t one of them. I stared at all the dead bodies down on the street for a while. Wondering what would’ve happened if the E-Plague never got to them. But there was no point. It happened and nobody can change that. I changed into shorts and a t-shirt and started walking to Alex and Aaron’s rooms. I got to Alex’s room and there was nothing except for a note. This is what it said:

Hey,  Josh. It’s Alex . Sorry to say this but Aaron and I are tired of living in this world. The E-Plague, mutated animals and every one dead. Me and Aaron ran out of the border today. We are probably living in a cave right now. All I want to say is Bye Josh. Bye.


I wondered  about the letter for a while and then I decided that I needed to find them or else they could get very hurt. I ran down the stairs and out of the house and began running as fast as I could to the border closest to our house… I arrived at the border 10 minutes later and saw flame inside a cave. I put my hand through the border and it shocked me like a taser. If Aaron and Alex went through that they must be very hurt right now. The border was set up so that nobody who is outside the border could come in. It was designed to immediately kill those who were trying to do this. Even though it wasn’t as painful going out as coming in it still hurt a lot. I braced myself for the pain and walked through the border. My whole body was shocked and I writhed in agony. I finally got off the ground and started dragging myself toward the fire. I got closer and closer and after about five minutes I made it there. I went inside the cave and looked around. All I saw was the fire and a backpack with food and water inside of it. I looked outside to see if I could see any footprints or anything but all I saw was a dead chicken-lizard lying on the ground. Suddenly the chicken-lizard started moving and I saw two people dragging it closer and closer to me. 
“Aaron! Alex!” I yelled as loud as I could.
“Josh! What are you doing here!” Aaron yelled back.
“I came to find you guys! I was worried about you!” I responded.
“We don’t want you with us,  Josh… If we did we would’ve told you. Now leave!” Alex said angrily
“Ok. If you want to die out here then go ahead…” I said. I walked away and left them behind me. I looked back and saw Alex and Aaron standing there watching me leave them behind. I walked about 3 miles away and found a body rotting in the ground. I looked at it and saw the same black dot that was on everybody who had the E-Plague. The man was rotting and the black dots were all over his body. It looked like he died a while ago.  I took my snow gloves out of my pockets and slowly  buried the man’s body with sand and continued walking. I found another cave leading deep into the ground and walked inside of it hoping to find nobody in there. I got to the bottom and all there was a picture of a little boy sitting on a chair by a very small table. The boy looked unhappy. I kept looking at the picture and finally noticed a body underneath a table. The body had bruises and blood on it. Underneath the picture,  it said Mutated #1. Oh no,  I thought. Now people are mutating as well.

4/25/77
Wert Desert/ Outside the border

I looked at my arm and saw a dark red line across it. I wondered what it could be and came to the conclusion that it must have been a scratch. I went to touch it and when I did I slit pain in my arm. Then my whole body hurt. I looked at my arm again and saw a dark red wing where it should have been.
“WHAT THE HECK!” I yelled then I looked at my other arms and saw the same thing.
“Uh-Oh… I must be mutated. I leaped up into the air to see if I could fly and I burst into the air.
“WHoooo!” I yelled “This feels great!. After 20 minutes I still couldn’t find anything. After about 5 more minutes I came upon a large forest. I walked around in the forest and came upon a large castle. It was probably close to being 60 feet high and had many archer towers around it. I looked at the top of one archer tower and saw a man standing on it. He picked up a remote and bomb from the ground and lifted them in the air to show me. He clicked the button and a hologram of a timer appeared above the castle. It was set to 10 minutes. I looked around the castle to find something to climb on. I needed to diffuse that bomb. I looked straight and saw that it was possible to climb up the wall. I started climbing and then saw the man begin to walk towards me. I was about 4 feet up and he walked over and threw the remote at me. It hit me in the head and I fell down.

 

4/27/16
Bepo Castle

I woke up and the first thing I saw was a man looking at me.
“Oh look, Charles, he woke up.” He said
“Seriously Joe? I thought I killed him!” Charles said.
“Nope. He’s still alive.” Joe responded.
“OK, Time to kill him for real.” Charles said back.
I saw the man named Charles start walking towards me. He was wearing the same cloak I saw him wearing before. He took out a knife from his pocket and looked at me.
“So Josh.” Wait he knows my name?! “I saw you flying over to our castle.” He continued.
“How did you do that?” Joe said. After he said that he signaled to Charles and he put the knife in his left hand and walked over to me. He then put cuffs around my hands so I was pinned to the steel bed.
“I don’t know!” I yelled.
“Don’t lie to us, kid.” He said, “Bad things will happen to you.”
“I’m serious, though! I have no idea!” I returned
“STOP LYING!” Joe yelled at me he took the knife from Charles and pointed it at me.
“Do you want this knife in your throat kid? If you don’t I suggest talking.” He screamed.
Brrrrrrrr Brrrrrr Brrrrr Brrrr I heard the sound of a drill in the wall. I soon saw large cracks appearing and then the wall completely broke down and out of nowhere Alex and Aaron walked in.
“Hey, Josh,” Alex said
“What are you doing here?” Aaron said
“Oh nothing just relaxing while these guys try to KILL me!” I yelled back
“Who are you two?” Charles asked them
“Um. I'm Jace.” Aaron said.
“And I’m Sam!” Alex said. After he said that he pointed at Joe’s shirt. He had a badge that showed he worked for Esan. Esan is a gang that has no mercy. They rob shops, kill innocent people and hate everyone. Their badge shows a gun and a knife. The two weapons they use. I’m part of Bona. We try to prevent whatever Esan tries to do. If I was wearing my Bona badge right now they would kill me no matter what I told them. Finally Aaron took out his knife and Alex took out his gun. They pointed their weapons at Charles and he pointed the knife at them. I saw Joe try to pick up a gun from the floor but before I had said anything Alex got rid of him by throwing a knife into his head.
“WHAT DID YOU DO TO JOE!” Charles yelled “YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!”
He tried to dive at me but while he was in the air I kicked him in the head. He went down to the ground and looked at me.
“You… Will…. Pay…”
Those were his last words.
I looked up at Aaron and saw him looking at me.
“Well… That was easy. Let’s get out of here now…” He said
“Sure” I replied we walked around the bunker trying to find a door. We found one by a large test tube that was as tall as me. Alex opened the door and we saw sunlight flood into the room. We walked out and we were in front of the castle.
“ Alex and Aaron.” I said
“Yes?” The answered at the same time.
“Watch this.”  I touched my arm and saw myself transforming again into a bat again. I looked at Alex and Aaron and their jaws dropped. They looked at my arm and back at my face.
“Um Josh. How are you doing that?”
“I must have mutated somehow…” I said I looked at my legs and saw that I was fully transformed.
“Josh…” Aaron said
“Yeah?” I asked
“Won't your mutation make us mutate as well? He asked
“Um… I don’t know…” I responded
“Well I’ll probably become mutated anyway so whatever… Also Sorry for yelling at you before.”
“It’s alright…”
“Time to go back to the border right?” I asked
“Yep… Can you fly us there? It’s really far from here.” Alex responded
“Sure… Get on my back.”
They climbed onto my back and I soared into the air. We saw the white dome encasing the city and knew that we had found the border.
“Hold on guys.” I told them and I swooped down onto the ground. We landed and Alex and Aaron jumped off. We put our hands into the border and walked in. We walked to our apartment and jumped in bed. It was a long week. I woke up and walked to the bathroom. I looked like a zombie. My hair was all over the place and blood was all over my face. I heard Alex and Aaron start walking into the room.
“Josh” Aaron said.
“Yes”
“Watch this.” And then after he said that he transformed into Charles and Alex turned into Joe.
“No… THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING!” I yelled
“Yes Josh. It is” Alex said back in a calm voice
“Goodnight Josh” Aaron said
“Forever” Alex added and they both threw knives into my body. 

And Then I Woke Up.


The author's comments:

Nothing.