The CSR project | Teen Ink

The CSR project

By EmmaMayWang GOLD, Pelham, Alabama
EmmaMayWang GOLD, Pelham, Alabama

"It is art, and art only, that reveals us to ourselves."
- Oscar Wilde

The sealed box arrived at late afternoon.
  I was drinking coffee and enjoying one of Agatha Christie’s books when there were three knocks on my door. That was weird because people usually rang the doorbell. I got up, placing my coffee on a nearby table and the book on my armchair. Upon opening the door, I saw no one there. I sighed and was about to close the door when something shifted in my line of vision. I looked down.
  A box sat on my doorstep, slowly shifting up and down, up and down...
  A mixed feeling of excitement and fear engulfed me, leaving me unsure which feeling was stronger. I slowly bent down and picked up the box, as I expected, three words were scrambled on it.
  It is done.
  I forced myself to get a grip, backing away from the door and closing it behind me. It would not be good if others saw what the box contained.
  Not good at all.
  I slowly opened the box with trembling fingers, either it was anticipation about what was to come or fear, I couldn’t tell which. The lid slid open, and something stirred inside the darkness.
----------------
   The year 2029 has brought new ambitions and new hopes, I had joined a biology group to try to promote the ecosystem’s biological potential. A case study in South Africa would explain the term better. In the past, there were endangered leopards, now extinct, and those leopards depended on the antelopes for food. As a fact, the antelopes’ remarkable speed was the result of galloping away from the leopards. However, the leopards have become extinct and with the antelopes’ predators are gone, there would be no need to have such high speeds. But by introducing the extinct leopards into the ecosystem again, the slower antelopes would be eaten and only the fastest would continue to breed. As a result, the antelopes would become much faster according to Darwin’s theory of evolution.
  So you’re probably wondering how we can introduce a species that is extinct, well, that’s what I’m going to tell you about...
----------------
  I closed my eyes and slowly, deliberately, put my hand into the darkness. Waiting.
  Waiting.
  Finally, something moved, nudging my hand. I shuddered and almost dropped the box.
  Something dragged itself onto my palm. I drew a deep breath, and lifted my hand.
  What came next was both exhilarating and horrifying.
  Crouching on the center of my palm was a minute dinosaur. Yes, a real live dinosaur.
Well, not exactly a dinosaur. More of a...cross species between birds and reptilians. You see, we have been experimenting with genetic mutations, and not just any mutations, mutations with separate species. 
  The dinosaur seemed content and rested its head on my finger tips, I exhaled ever so slightly, careful not to move the hand still holding the dinosaur.
  I thought back on the first day I joined the CSR Project, five fervent persons discussing the what might mead to bring back an extinct species. And then, we had begun with the experiments, first starting little on animals like insects, then trying it on fish, finally, on mammals.
  We had made so much progress in the last two years, having successfully created several distinctive species from other ones. The general public didn’t know about this project, for the government forbade us to speak of it, fearing the reaction from the public about possibly bringing back real live dinosaurs. Some, as we speculated, would be mildly interested in our project, while others probably didn’t care either way, however, the rest might be angry if not out right scared.
  The dinosaur bit my finger and interrupted my train of thought.
  “Ouch!” I complained, deliberately still not moving my hand for fear of further biting, “you can’t just bite me, I help create you!”
  The dinosaur gazed up at me with misty, glazed-over eyes.
  “Okay, you’re a newborn dinosaur.” I said, just to make it sound less ludicrous. “So I’m going to send you back okay?” A raspy croak came from the dinosaur’s throat. I took that as a yes.
  “Alright then, I suppose we’ll have to get you something to eat.”
  It sat up, or, crouched up at the mention of food.
----------------
I sat in my armchair, staring at the little wonder that was eating a piece of raw meat off the nearby table. Strangely, I felt doubt surge in my heart.
  Was it a such good idea to bring back extinct species after all?
  It was weird because we had convinced ourselves that this was best for the ecosystem, and it would be an amazing breakthrough in the field of biology. Still, people might just be a little nervous if 30 foot tall dinosaurs were roaming in their back yard.
  I thought back to several cases earlier. They had all ended up disastrous. And they had all been conducted by humans.
  Humans. I mused, we always thought we were doing the right things. Whereas in reality, things would have been better if we’d just pissed off.
  Human interference was the reason.
  Things would be better if humans didn’t interfere.
  But what was I doing then? I thought, the dinosaur gobbling up the food at the edge of my vision. I was interfering. With nature, with the ecosystem, with everything.
  My gaze fell upon the dinosaur again. What have I done?
  What have I done?
  I had helped with the project, for god’s sake, I was the one to suggest it! How can I reverse what is done? What I had done?
  Something bad.
  The dinosaur was just finishing its first taste of fresh food when I grabbed it’s scaly body and lifted. It jerked in my grip, snapping it’s mouth at my fist, but I didn’t loosen my grip, if anything, I gripped tighter.
  It would be my fault if anything went wrong. For it was I who suggest the idea of bringing back extinct species.
  The dinosaur moaned, obviously discomforted and for a moment, my certainty wavered.
  Just a moment.
  Without glancing back, I closed the door against the night.