Transylvania | Teen Ink

Transylvania

December 29, 2015
By arianamariel BRONZE, Middlesex, New Jersey
arianamariel BRONZE, Middlesex, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She belonged here, it was where all the monsters hung out. Sylvia had become one of them one night on a full moon. There was blood all over her arms and a knife on her kitchen counter, tainted by the same shining red. That was the night she cried the most, she didn’t want to admit she was a monster. The worst was explaining it to her mom.


Her mom was a kind woman, characterized by her pronounced laugh lines around her mouth and eyes. When Sylvia was little, she loved to poke her stubby fingers in them, along with the deep dimples she always desired seeing implanted within her own cheeks. But Sylvia didn’t have the dimples or the laugh lines, she barely used the muscles necessary to create them. Her mom was devasted. Her own child, the monster she so desparately preached to stay away from. But that’s why she sent Sylvia here, to Transylvania. Because maybe being around other monsters could make her want to be normal. Her mom didn’t understand that she couldn’t control it. Her nails were still sharp and her visage would forever remain transformed.


At Transylvania, she could relate to all the monsters. There were some who killed many and some who were sent here before they could wreak their havoc upon society. The society here at Transylvania was different, here she was normal. The ones that weren’t normal were the ones dressed in white, they were the monsters. They were cruel, unjust without reason. They forced her and other monsters into small rooms to try to force them to talk. The monsters called these rooms the Surprise Rooms, because all of a sudden, it was someone elses turn to be forced inside. Sylvia forgot most of her time in the Surprise Rooms. All she could remember was the feeling of shock that washed over her everytime she left. It was so traumatic that she’d writhe in her seat for the next two days after being in there. Everytime, the people in white would ask her to explain the night of the full moon. They wanted to hear about the familiar blood dripping from the vertical lines on her arms. They wanted to know about the skin under her nails that matched the very tint of her own. They thought they could change her so that she would no longer be a monster, But the thing about Sylvia being in Transylvania is that once she was in, she could longer deny what she was. But here, she didn’t mind being a monster. Here the monsters were nice, but the people, the people were not.