The Difference- Little Red Riding Hood | Teen Ink

The Difference- Little Red Riding Hood

March 12, 2015
By Anonymous

Little Red Riding hood. We all know the story. But some are not the same. I’ve read two stories of the same tale. And both are very different from each other. They may be the same story still, that is why there are three very obvious similarities. The differences, though the same story, out number the similarities.

The text of the stories is quite the same.  We all know the original. Little Red Riding Hood walked through the woods and went to her grandmother’s house. She met a wolf and the wolf went to her grandmother’s house. The wolf then ate the grandmother, and was still hungry, so he dressed as the grandmother, hoping to eat the girl. The girl gets to the house and sees the wolf, and asks why his traits are much different from what she knows from her grandmother. In the original story, the wolf eats Little Red Riding Hood, and the huntsman comes, and saves them, by cutting open the wolf, and they survive. However, in this recent story I’ve read, this is not the case. Little Red Riding Hood walks through the door, and they do the same, but the wolf reveals his identity, and the girl pulls out a pistol- And shoots the wolf dead. The grandmother dies, the girl survives, and there is no huntsman.

The stories are very different. That is very easy to see, But what is the same? The wolf eats the grandmother, and dresses as her to eat the little girl. The girl goes to her grandmothers in the woods, and in the end, the wolf dies. This story is very interesting because of the way it can be changed, and still be very similar. Its a large change at the end, and only two sentences have changed the entire stories outcome.


Lastly, the story has been known for years, and has many different versions of it. So why did I choose this one? It was an odd story to read from a modern view. How the wolf actually would ask the girl why she wasn’t following the original storyline, giving away his identity, as the wolf. Everyone is so used to hearing original stories told over and over again, that they jump to conclusions of what's going to happen, because thats what they already know, they’ve  been told the story, that in the end, a big plot twist ruins your predictions, and makes you think, that the story became much more interesting when it suddenly changed. So, does that make the story better, or worse, that its different from what everyone told you it was supposed to be like, how it was supposed to end?


The author's comments:

I wrote this to show that the world is always formed that things are supposed to be a certain way, but what if we were to change it? Would it be better, or worse?