Firewall | Teen Ink

Firewall

By mustymagic BRONZE, Brighton, Massachusetts
mustymagic BRONZE, Brighton, Massachusetts

The first time we got grades was fifth grade. So, like a normal kid would when they got straight-A’s, I came home skipping and smiling and showing off my report card to everyone I knew.
My mom was pleased, just to say the least.
My dad just shook his head. When my mom went away, he told me, “Chloe, go fit in. Don’t be that good.”
“Huh?”
“You can be famous, but not too famous. You can be smart, but not too smart. Be normal.”
“Why?”
“Because.”
“Because what?”
He glanced to the side and took a deep breath. “Because you’re a wizard.”
“Me? How’d you know?”
“I am too. I can feel auras.”
“So?”
“Try to be human. It’s easier when you don’t know any spells.”
“Why can’t I be a wizard? That’s cool.”
“No honey, it’s too dangerous… Wizards, we’re sought for. The humans want to kill us. Jealousy of our power, I guess. This is the best I can do for you.”

I tried not to think about it, but I took his advice. I watched as other people struggled with school, and I pretended to struggle with them. But school was easy. Everything was easy. As I grew up, I began to realize what my dad meant by auras. Whenever I was around him, it felt like a magnetic field. Not like I was sexually attracted to him, but like physically compelled towards him. I taught myself how to read other people’s minds, fly, teleport things, and other basic wizard skills. Usually I did these with caution, in my own room, but the power began to be uncontrollable. Sometimes the teacher’s pencil box would slide off her table when only a little bit of anger was building up inside of me. In gym when we were playing basketball once I stayed afloat for a little longer than humanly possible. The gym teacher looked at me queerly then glanced away. Just little unconscious acts, a bit of embarrassment, I told myself. Nothing too serious… But I was tempted to try harder things.
Ms. Harold was talking. “Chloe, do you remember Euler’s formula?”
“Euler?”
“Yes, Euler. Don’t tell me you haven’t been paying attention again.”
I knew Euler’s formula. I knew who Euler was, but it wasn’t something humans should know. I didn’t want to look smart either.
“Ewww-ler. I don’t know. But what type of name is that?”
Giggles burst around the room.
“Chloe, see me after class.”

Ms. Harold put a hand on my shoulder, sending chills down my body. The baby blue sky outside turned into a treacherous inky black. Fear shot through my body as I tried to teleport myself back home.
She cackled, the bitter laughter echoing throughout the void that surrounded us. “You no longer have your wizard abilities. What are you going to do?”
I winced. Perhaps, before I die, I should figure out who killed me. “In the name of Euler, reveal yourself.”
“So you do know who Euler is. Not that it matters now.”
She began to glow faintly in the darkness. I tried to put my hand on the desk that was next to me, but it wasn’t there.
“Ha! Yes, I should’ve told you, we’re in Tesla’s Cave. Tesla--- a wizard. This is supposedly your home, your advantage.”
Ms. Harold was obviously more powerful than me. Why would she give me an advantage? I had no answer, but I knew that I needed to live. My words now could determine my fate. She was no wizard; she lacked the aura. But she knew the truth, and lying and hiding was no longer an option.
“Ms. Harold, there is no Tesla’s Cave.”
She paused. “Not on Earth, no.” Her glow began to fade.
“Ms. Harold?”
A new voice spoke. “Harrrrrrollllllld. Pff. What a simple name, Empusa. I expected better than that. Oh, Chloe, by the way, I’m Hecate. Nice to meet you.”

Chains gripped my wrists, leaving me hanging like a butchered cow from the cave ceiling.
“Hurry up, Empusa. Finish the kill. You know this is what you need to do.”
“I was going to call Lamia…”
“No, just hurry up. The stupid wizards are going to arrive soon.”
“Then why are you just standing there?”
SLAP! “I’ve kept them from arriving for two hours already.”
“La-”
“Do you want another spanking?”
Ms. Harold lit up, her whole body encased in flames. Before I had time to scream, Hecate was tightening the chains, and Ms. Harold was sprinting full speed at me. I have to say, for a middle-aged woman, she ran pretty darn fast.

“Dad?” I croaked.
“Yeah?”
“Did I mess up?”
“Yeah.”
“Pretty bad?”
Silence.
“Am I dead?”
Silence.
“Where are we?”
“You’re sleeping, honey. Just sleep. Don’t worry.”
“You sure?”
“EMPUSA, HE’S HYPNO-COMMUNICATING!”
Oh no, Hecate and her crew is back, I thought.
“Dad?”
“Your dad’s long gone, young lady.”

When I woke up, everything was stinging in pain. I saw Ms. Harold, Hecate, and another pretty lady roasting marshmallows around a fire a few feet to my right. In the faint light, my clothes were no longer recognizable; I could only guess that the charred black heap of who-knows-what below me was what was left of my Guess jeans and Pink tank top. High speed trains of pain traveled up and down my arms, the result of hanging for a few hours. But the rest of my body was fine, just stripped naked. At least I wasn’t dead. Somebody had tied a wooden stick to my left foot though. Its aura told me that it was a gift from some wizard.
Slowly, I lifted my left foot up, shifting my position a little so I could hook my pinkie toe on the chain above me and read the little scribbly note tied to the stick. It read:
This is a wand. Say in the name of Euler and the chains will break. Immediately run to the right. It’s the only way out. -Dad
“In the name of Euler,” I whispered. The heap below me crunched as the three women turned their heads simultaneously. My lungs gasped for breath as my legs carried me as fast as I could go past the flaming campfire.
“Empusa! You didn’t do the chains correctly!”
“Yes I did!”
“No you didn’t!”
“Hurry up guys we don’t have time for spankings!”
“Lamia, why don’t you shush. You didn’t even-”
“She’s breaking free! Let’s go!”
“Nobody needs to hear any more crappy pop music…”
“Hey! I like Ariana Grande!”
“HEY! NOBODY CARES!”
I saw the light and the cotton candy clouds and the glorious blue sky ahead of me. Just a few more steps, almost there…
I skidded to a stop. Gravel flew everywhere. Instead of safety, I was standing on a rock cliff, hundreds of feet above the ocean. So now it was either jump or go back into the cave, which simplifies to death and death.
“Good one, Hecate.” It was Ms. Harold again. The cackling got louder behind me.

I silently cursed. A rock slammed into Hecate’s face.
“You wimpy wizard,” she screamed, almost pushing me off the cliff.
I flicked the wand off my foot to catch it with my hand and pointed it at them. The three women’s faces turned from snickering to shock as chains fell from the sky and captured them. If the wand worked, then maybe my own powers were back too. The anger built up and I closed my eyes. Despite the chains, the three women still had magical power. A firewall formed in front of me. I squeezed my eyes harder, forcing all my willpower into repelling the firewall. But it advanced at an alarming rate. My own power was not enough. Why was Euler so successful? He used his brain…
I jumped backwards off the cliff. They didn’t have time to laugh, because they were tumbling down too. It was like a game of tug-a-war: they were using so much power, when I let go, the excess power catapulted them forward and into the sea. The wind floated me away, and I blacked out again.

“Chloe, here.”
  I had just woke up in my own home, in my own bed. Dad dropped an envelope on my bed. I blinked a few times, propped a pillow up, and sat up. After ripping it open, I read the letter inside.
Chloe-
Congratulations for defeating the minions and Hecate herself. We, the Magna Ligna School for Wizards and the Like (MLSWL), invite you to start your education in magic this year. You’ll be challenged by wizards with similar abilities, and will learn how to succeed in life as a wizard. You’ll also learn more advanced spells and fighting strategies.
Like always, protect your magic like you protect your life.
-Ghost of Euler, on behalf of the MLSWL
“Dad!”
“You should go. You’re an year early, but still. This is the best protection you can get. Why don’t you start packing up?”

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

Okay, are you doing a sequel? That was good, but with that ending…AGH! Those are the kinds of cliffhangers that make authors laugh evilly as their readers go crazy! Very, very, very well done! I love it!