Glassed | Teen Ink

Glassed

By BunniFooFoo BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
BunniFooFoo BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas

It started on a day, when our 2 sun’s shone bright high up in the sky. It was the kind of day when the wind blew gently over the nearby rolling hills, and when the flying creatures of the planet soared happily through the air. My people of the Powkaian race were great in numbers on our great planet, Sangheili. We in addition were an advanced race, being a tier two civilization. Meaning our armies had the ability to achieve exceedingly accurate slip-space navigation with our ships at a moment’s notice. We all were strong-hearted and had lots of valor, for we believed we were the most supreme of all races. Until one morning, a foreign enemy soon showed their supremacy.
    I remembered hearing and feeling a terrifying, low-pitched sound flow through my body and the air throughout the lands, shaking and rattling the houses. I went outside and observed a startling sight. Eight giant unidentified ships were entering our atmosphere over our capital city of Sheyuum. I ran as fast as I could to the barracks and grabbed my plasma rifle without hesitation. My military training has prepared me for this moment, to defend our home if it meant dying for.
    I and my squad were eventually ordered by officials to be positioned in the town square. We waited there with our rifles fixed onto the ships up above, ready to open fire either on command or if we are fired upon. We were even informed that our satellites had detected other large orbital entities that weren’t our own. So we knew that whatever these foreigners were here for, that they meant business. But we sat there ready to fight with our brothers by our side, not knowing what to expect. But we will die with honor and with our planet in our heart.
    Half a day later when our suns were about to set, something I will never forget happens. Port holes all around the undersides of their ships open up. Minutes later round, dark, marble-like objects fell from their ships downward to the land. When the objects reached a certain height above the ground, maybe around one hundred feet, they explode in a powerful airburst. The explosions collapsed a few weak buildings instantly, in addition to putting holes in our streets. I counted twelve blasts before I even got to hear any return fire from our forces. We all must have been frozen by shock, but you can’t blame us. But eventually, I and my squad joined in the return fire with our brothers to the north of the town square. I could still hear the massive explosions in other parts of the capital taking out buildings along with my people. I and my squad were forced to retreat and take refuge in a court building, for our puny weapons didn’t seem to effect the enemy. Before entering, I looked back at the terror as I saw my nation, my once powerful nation, crumbling to ash as our capital building caved in on itself. My nation was being exterminated before my eyes. Another thing I saw were drop pods from the alien ships falling down to our burning streets. I stood there longer, for I couldn’t move due to the shock I was experiencing. As their pods landed, a loud hiss came from them before they opened up. Out stepped two creatures, with each having distinct facial features behind large metal suits. The suits were machine like, with belt fed weapons attached to the arms. I was spotted soon enough then hit with a small dart, which easily pierced through my thin armor. I fell unconscious.
    I awoke in a chamber, stripped from my gear and weapons. But I was also restrained at the arms and legs as I sat in the chair. Eventually, the chamber door opens and enters five of those creatures. I was pricked and prodded with needles before they all soon left, except one. He wore many medals or different shapes and colors on his chest, so I knew he must have been some sort of official. It spoke to me in a confusing language or tongue, as we called it back on Sangheili. But the two things I could understand was that my whole planet was burned by the bombs till its surface was nothing but glass, and the last thing… is that they called themselves Humans.

I watched a few sci-fi movies that have really influenced my writing and plot of this story.