Angel On Your Shoulder | Teen Ink

Angel On Your Shoulder

By Brannagh13 SILVER, Salisbury, Other
Brannagh13 SILVER, Salisbury, Other

"Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you."
William Arthur Ward

Okay, so I have better things to do than stand over this dithering, drunken idiot, watching him decide if driving home is a good idea. I mean, surely thats a no brainer, right? The man can't even walk two steps in a straight line, and I watched him stumble six times into the car door before, by some miracle, he'd managed to open it. If he was fit to drive, than I was a purple, chicken-headed turtle.

Since my promotion, however, from paper-pusher to good-conscious, dealing with menial decisions like this is my job. It's a mere step up from my previous position, but it's also a step closer to becoming a guardian. I'll take on a thousand stupids drunks if it will one day get me there.

"Don't do it, Derek." The drunk staggers a little as my voice whispers through his fogged inebriated mind. "It's not worth the risk." His lips tremble, repeating my words back to me. I take this as a good sign, and sigh. "That's right, Derek, now why don't you move aw-..."

The air begins to grow heavy and tense, hot as lightning on my flesh. I close my eyes. There must always be balance, an equal chance for good and evil, but, even so, I can't help wishing that we had the upper hand. Humanity is easily swayed by the tempting voice of evil, and, with the level of Derek's intoxication, he will be even more susceptible.

I rush to finish my suggestion, trying to coax Derek to close the door and walk away. I am too late. The air explodes in a stench of smoke and cinder and darkness, coating my skin in demonic ash. I scowl down at the once perfect white skirts of my dress. I'm not supposed to be concerned with material objects, but, well, is it too much to ask that I don't have to spend my evenings cleaning?

"Of course it's worth the risk, Derek." My eyes shutter close. Oh man, not Sabre. Please don't be Sabre. "Would you risk leaving your car here, alone?" That rich, seductive voice washes over me, causing a shiver to run down my spine. I've read of Sabre. The demonic creature no mortal can deny, his voice binding any who hear him. Even an immortal.

And it's not just his voice you must be wary of. All demons are beautiful, bewitching. The darkness they harbour is tantalising, moving over their skin in such a way that you are ensnared.

His human form is no less enchanting. A mysterious, brooding mask to hide the cold wasteland of sin within.

"You're late."

He casts a grin at me. "That is not what I expected your first words to be. Most wish me gone." He brushes his raven black wings against mine. The sensation is indescribable, like having an electric shock running through you. It's not unpleasant. It is not unpleasant at all.

I ignore him, returning my attention to Derek. Saving him is, after all, my assignment, not making small talk with a demon. "Would you risk harming someone else for the sake of a car?" I reach out and gently touch his arm. My own persuasiveness is more powerful through a connection like this, my own wish channelled into another. The drunk looks down at his arm, a crease between his eyes. I could almost believe he is staring at my hand, if not for that small crease. "Would you?"

"No. No, no, no." He takes a step back from the car.

Sabre's grin falls from his lips. He walks forward to whisper directly into his ear. "Think about the humiliation it will cost you to walk back now."

"Humiliation..."Derek slides from my grasp and into the car, shutting the door firmly behind him.

Sabre shoots me a triumphant smirk, but it's not over yet. I refuse to lose my assignment to him. I step forward, pushing myself through the material form of the door and pressing my lips to his cheek. My own seduction. My own power. An Angel's kiss.

Oh. I'll be paying hell for this later...

Derek's face softens into a frown as reason floods him, clearing his mind, for the barest of moments, from the dark tones of the alcohol. Sabre curses. "What are you playing at?"

I stand to face him. "I'm saving the young girl he will run over if he continues this path. I'm saving the woman waiting for him, and the baby that will never be born if he does this deed." I say this all with conviction, such conviction, my back straightening, chin tipping back, that Sabre's form cowers. It is only a slight cower, but it is a retreat all the same.

I feel his dark eyes peruse me, from the top of my flaming hair, coiled effortlessly around my head, to my silver painted toes. "Blaise the seer. They've finally let you out of the nest, I see."

I smile and stretch my wings, shaking a thin layer of silver dust to the ground. Behind me, Derek leaves the car, pocketing his keys with a shake of his head. "Yeah. It's about time, don't you think?"