Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card | Teen Ink

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

May 17, 2014
By Alexander30 BRONZE, Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Alexander30 BRONZE, Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard, accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.” - Marcus Aurelius


Ender's Game
Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

(Now a Major Motion Picture)


Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card is an exhilarating fast paced steep into the future of tactical space combat and the troubled life of a young soon to be Admiral of Earth’s greatest defense weapon, the International Fleet.

Years prior to the story there was an invasion of Earth that sealed a bond between the countries of the world. After eighty years the bond that was once strong is starting to shred and the scraps it is becoming are being tested with every passing day.

In its prime the bond gave the humans of Earth a fighting chance in their defense against the alien foe known only as the Buggers. After the successful defense of the planet the International Fleet started taking measures to ensure that the Earth was safe from any future assaults. The Second Invasion came and went, but still the International Fleet is unsatisfied.

Ender Wiggin is a Third in a world where parents are only permitted two children, with few exceptions. Though he is a very lonely Third, Ender is an extremely intelligent six year old on his way to finishing his basic training on Earth when he is whisked away from his family and launched into orbit by Colonel Graff to train in the renowned Battle School.

Upon entering Battle School Ender is socially isolated from the members of his team and the members of all of the other teams. He doesn’t let his isolation stop him in the slightest as he proves his worth in class and in the competitive team based battle game of the Battle Room.

After years of battles and endless torment from his superiors and other soldiers alike Ender is assigned to command his own army, Dragon Army, comprised of a ragtag group of outcast veterans and inexperienced launchies. Though the infamous name holds an inevitable season losing streak Ender works his tactical mind and turns his downcast team into a superpower that works its way up to the top of the Battle Room roster.

After proving himself a worthy candidate for Admiral of the International Fleet he is promoted to Command School on a once bugger-infested asteroid called Eros where he becomes the apprentice of the greatest war hero from the Second Bugger War, Mazer Rackham. During his apprenticeship Ender conducts fleets of starships in simulation battles to prepare himself for the his greatest task: To make it impossible for the Buggers to ever attack Earth again.

Throughout the entire story Ender is continually pushed to his limits and his grasp on his mental and physical stability wears down until he is left questioning everything and everyone.

As Ender fights for peace in zero gravity his brother and sister, the First and Second children of his family, stay very much grounded on Earth fighting for the salvation of the peace between the nations through the use of a couple of pseudonyms and many articles and debates in political forums. This part of the story takes up a much smaller portion of the book, but it is a nice treat that strengthens that storyline and the world that Orson Scott Card creates.

This story pays a great deal of attention on the character and personality of Ender. It has a strong emphasis on why Ender makes the choices he does rather than the choices alone, and the why is often the more important factor in the story and in life in general.

I like how this story promotes a lot of character analysis, and how it offers a great deal of political and military tactical reasoning. The futuristic world Orson Scott Card makes is very creative, well thought out, and easily believable. It simply feels real.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. The character and world building is impeccable, and the plot is so tight and complete that there is an answer to everything in the end.

The story is now a Major Motion Picture, and I must say that the movie by itself is an amazing work as well. I highly recommend it.