Midnight Murder | Teen Ink

Midnight Murder

April 9, 2014
By Hbkooy PLATINUM, Champaign, Illinois
Hbkooy PLATINUM, Champaign, Illinois
49 articles 24 photos 20 comments

I woke up with a start and groaned. It had happened again. Every day when I slept I was controlled by an evil, mysterious person. I could never remember how they got control of me. While they controlled me I could see and feel everything. The only thing I couldn’t remember was why I was doing their bidding. Every day I killed the same number of people: five. I couldn’t figure out why, but with each night I killed people of growing importance. Just last night I had attacked some of Congress.
“Tonight,” I thought to myself, “I refuse to go to sleep.” Throughout the entire day I slept, and after the sun had gone down, I ate as much chocolate and soda as I could manage. My whole body buzzed with the caffeine; there was no way I could fall asleep now. As I sat in my bed on guard, my whole body twitched with suspense, and my heart pounded loudly in my head. I felt like I was waiting for a war to start. Suddenly my door was thrown open, and in walked my mother. Was she the one who had controlled me? She had an evil grin on her face. I backed up to the corner of my room nervously. She looked me right in the eye.
“Goodnight,” she whispered softly into my ear. “Sleep tight.” My mother pressed a button on a remote I hadn’t noticed in her hand, and she closed my door. I walked over and twisted the knob. The door wouldn’t budge. Suddenly I heard a loud hiss, and soon what looked like fog had filled my room. My breath quickened in fear and the strange fog filled my lungs. The more I breathed, the weaker I grew, and soon I couldn’t stand up any more. I sat down on my bed, and my head swam wildly. My door opened again, and my mother returned, a gas mask sitting tightly on her face. I watched in horror as she closed every exit in my room. I tried to stop her, but I was far too weak. She sat down next to me and began speaking in a deep, monotonous voice.

It is nighttime. Sleep fills the air. Doesn’t it make you feel so tired? So very tired. And the more tired you become, isn’t it growing harder to think?

I held my head. No, I can’t listen to her. I tried to stand up, but the fog combined with her deep, soothing voice was making me feel so heavy. My mother gave the back of my shirt a light tug, and I collapsed back onto the bed. She began stroking my face, and the minute her soft, warm hand touched me, my eyelids drooped. I tried as hard as I could to keep them open, but they were heavier than lead.

I know how you feel. You’re so tired. So very tired. Don’t you just want to lie down and sleep? To sleep without thinking. Thinking is so hard, so just stop trying. You’re much too tired to think. Sleep.

I yawned and starting giving in to how relaxed I felt. It really did feel wonderful to allow her to relax me. NO, I can’t! My eyes flew open. My mother continued to stroke my face, and once again, my eyelids drooped. NO, I need to get out of here, no matter how hard it is. I forced myself up and ran as far as I could before my legs gave out. I dragged myself the rest of the way across the room. I reached the door and grabbed the handle. The door opened and fresh air flew into my room. I regained my strength and stood up.

Silly boy, you may not think so, but you are so tired. So very tired. While you have been “escaping” my words have worked their way into your weak little brain. So weak. So tired. You can’t even hold yourself up.

I fell to the floor again. How had she done this? The fog was gone. I should be free.

You may not want to admit it, but you will sleep when I tell you to. You are such a good boy, and so well trained. You know deep down that you truly want to obey and give in. In fact, your eyes are closing again, and the harder you fight it, the more they close. I will tell you to sleep in a moment, and when I do, you will be completely under my control.

My eyes were barely open. No. I couldn’t even sit up now, but I had to. I pushed with all my might. I started to get away, I could do this!

Sleep!

I fell to the floor. My body was so heavy it felt as though it had melted into the floor. My mom spoke, but she sounded fuzzy and far away. I only got many gruesome visions of what happened, and they were more terrible then any I had ever had before. I was carrying a bright, shiny knife, and a feeling of power and anger filled my body. I ran into a house I didn’t recognize, and screams filled the air. Blood flowed out like a waterfall. It was everywhere. I was running, and there were several police cars chasing me. The bright lights were blinding, and there was no way to get away. I ran into a nearby house and pulled out a grenade. I yanked the pin out of the small green shell, and I ran out their back door. I ran back to my house, alone in the peaceful night. The police thought I was dead, however I would live another day. I bowed down to my mother and she kissed me softly on my forehead. Then it all went black.

I woke up with a start and groaned. It had happened again.