The Last of Metronia | Teen Ink

The Last of Metronia

By thedepartedone GOLD, Visalia, California
thedepartedone GOLD, Visalia, California

"Life is not doing a sum, but yet painting a picture."

Grayling Richardson was one of the richest men in Metronia. All the stress from his long work hours left long wrinkles upon his pale forehead. On top of that, stood his gray spiked hair. His body type was lanky and scrawny. He stood in frustration looking out of his home’s large glass window. His home stood poking out into the limitless indigo sky. The room echoed as Scarlet shrieked.

“You never loved me or any of your creations. You just used me.”, yelled Scarlet. Scarlet was throwing things around. A glass plate dispersed upon the wooden flooring of their home. Her droid eye turned a bright flashing red.

“Scarlet, you were never supposed to have emotions. You are merely a droid made for the use of addressing human needs and wants. You were supposed to take of Annora and that is all. I did not make you in intentions of making you my wife.”, said Richardson.

Flashbacks went through Scarlet’s head. All the feelings of her love towards Grayling and his daughter, Annora. She remembered caring for the bright blue eye, blonde haired baby. She remembered how much she struggled with Grayling treating her like nothing more than a slave while she was deeply in love with him. She was tired of her hard work not being appreciated.

“You’ll regret this, Grayling. You’ve made a huge mistake. I’m going to voice this to the droids. We will rebel!”, Scarlet stormed out to the control room with Grayling running right behind her. Her droid makeup allowed her to spring much faster than him.

Her metallic finger broke through the thin glass of the control panel after she pressed it with anger. She enabled an all droid shutdown. All Annora heard was a desperate scream from her father. She sprinted to room as a fast as she could. She walked in on Scarlet attacking her father.

She brought out a can of acid that resembled pepper spray from her purse and aimed it at Scarlet and sprayed it. Scarlet’s metallic makeup was being eaten away by the nitric acid that had been opened on her. Grayling pushed the now lifeless robot off himself and hugged onto Annora. They both watched as the droid who raised Annora transform from full droid to what seemed to be metal shavings on the floor.

Grayling’s cell phone rang. He answered it in angsty manner feeling something was wrong. “Damn you, Richardson! I have spent thousands of dollars on one of your stupid droids only to have it be defiant.”, the woman on the phone shouted.

“I do not see any reason for this particular occur-”, Grayling was interrupted.

“Are you already trying to tell me you don’t know what your ridiculous droids are doing? It’s all over national television. You think you can just let a creation loose and not bother to check on the safety of citizens using it?! You’re just in this for the money, aren’t you, you ignorant piece of ---”, the woman did not get her last few words in.

Grayling flipped on the television. Annora and him stood together witnessing a total massacre of humans. The screen showed droid rebelling and explosions occurring everywhere around the city. Grayling’s worst nightmare had happened but it gotten even worse. A clash of glass window behind him stunned him. As soon as he turned around, a droid stood tall in front of him. Grayling was in shock and did not react quickly in time to prevent the droid from grabbing Annora.

“Mr. Richardson, I understand that you are in terrible pain after your own doing has turned against the world. I, however, have a compromise for that. Let us droids sacrifice Annora and we will disappear and never bother humanity again.”, the droid said.

Annora screamed. The droid scraped her flesh with his fingers as punishment. Droplets of her blood fell on the floor mimicking the sound of rain.

“We promise we will make this quick and painless for your daughter.”, he said.

“State your name, you horrendous robot.”, said Grayling.

“I was assigned the name Carthray.”, the droid stated.

“Let me tell you something, Carthray. You cannot kill my daughter because it would be like killing a God’s son. Humanity should be grateful for all I have done. Humans other than myself are lazy and worthless, not to mention pathetic for having droids do their chores and errands. This is what makes me equal to the Good Lord. I am superior to everyone else on this universe just like Him.”, Grayling said this in patronizing tone to the bot, arrogantly grining between each breath.

“If you are the superior here, look out your window and let’s see how you feel then.”, said Carthray.

Grayling looked out the window of his home. He expected to see homes and business buildings standing like they always did and busy working citizens. Instead, he looked down from his home and saw nothing but a decaying town. Buildings cast to ground, dust and glass covered the whole city. There was no sign of life anywhere. Grayling fell to his knees in despair and began sobbing.

“Take Annora. Take whatever you want from me. This is all my doing. I have angered God,” Grayling cried. “Just go.”

Carthray proceeded to take Annora with him, holding her arms behind her back. Annora just stared at her father and felt nothing but betrayal. Her father just gave her away like a prize to a piece of machinery. Grayling waited until he heard the door close behind Carthray and Annora. He slid the large window open and he heard the town the quietest it had ever been, nothing but the sound of wind going through the air. He put one leg out of the window and sat there for awhile, reminiscing on his arrogant ways. He then threw himself out of the window falling to his death, like a paper falling off a desk, into the disaster of a world he had created.

Annora was being ordered around by Carthray. She was stumbling over her own feet as they made it down the stairway of her home. She looked over at the city of Metronia she once called home. A tear fell from her ocean blue eye onto her puffy cheek. All she heard was a big bang and looked down to see her father smashed into the concrete. She let out a scream. Everything she knew was now gone. For all she knew, she was the last human in droid dominated world.