Animals | Teen Ink

Animals

By DahAsianBoy SILVER, Bear, Delaware
DahAsianBoy SILVER, Bear, Delaware

“You’re such a pig!” she screams, storming out of the Drunken Baron pub, pushing past me with the aggression of an offended woman. “I never want to see you again! You never think of me, and you cheat on me with someone else, from a pub?!?!” I watch her walk away, furiously swinging her arms side by side. The woman was staring at me from the door, looking at me slyly. I hated it. I turned, looking down the street, away from the door. She called out to me, mockingly, “Hey, call me sometime!” This made me so much angrier. How did this happen? Why did this have to happen to me? It was a crisp, cool night. I could hear cars roaring down the highway, honks and police sirens jumping out at the night. I start walking slowly; I could see my apartment down the street only a few blocks. “Today was supposed to be a good day” I said to myself out loud. Thinking to myself, I look back on today. I can see it all, like it had been just a second ago. This morning, I received a phone call from out of the blue. An old friend, from so long ago, wanted to meet up with me and catch up tonight. But it’s a special day today, our third anniversary. I made plans for her; special plans so she could feel special. This afternoon, I tried to surprise her at work with flowers and chocolate, but interrupted an important board meeting, she became so mad. Then, I revised the plans to make it up to her. I got another call from the old friend; she sounds strange and insists that I take her up on her offer. Then, only a few hours ago, I’m at dinner with her, giving her the surprise, paying and bringing her out to the car. I explained to her that an old friend had come to visit and wanted to meet up tonight. I took her home and tucked her into bed, waiting for her to fall asleep. Then, I go out to the Drunken Baron, and finally meet up with the friend. We grabbed a few drinks, talked and ate a few snacks. The next thing I knew, everything happened so fast. She jumps up at me, grabs me and brings me close and her lips meet mine. She kisses me, but I don’t kiss her back. I back away from her. I become astonished and furious, but then She barges into the bar and catches her doing the act, and everything breaks down. Now, I’m here, in my apartment, and she’s not. I suddenly become exhausted, change and fall onto my bed. She must have gone to a friends’ house, I thought to myself. I soon fell into a deep sleep, into a vortex of nightmares, fears, and loneliness. Then, what felt like a few seconds later, I wake up in a big sweat, but now I’m outside? What happened? Why am I outside? Where am I? Questions flowed through my head. I stand up, or try to. Everything was so much taller than it should be. I looked down at my feet, pink and skinny to thick legs, four of them, with two hooves on each. I rear back, yelling but… A loud squeal comes out instead. I’m freaking out, but slowly realize it. I have become a pig.
I forced myself to go back to sleep, thinking that I am in a terrible, realistic like nightmare. I did go back to sleep, but awoke to a sight that was much more surprising. It is now a brisk morning, the dew drops lay lazily on the grass, sometimes sliding down a tall blade and rolling onto the ground. Mist hovers in the air ominously, showing rays of sunlight through slits in the air. I open my eyes slowly, expecting to wake up in my warm, cozy bed and She was there, laying with me and waiting for me to wake up. Instead, I see old, brown logs forming fences around a large perimeter. An old looking red-brown barn shows in the distance, tall blades of grass stand straight, trying to catch the early rays of sunlight. As I get up, I look around the field, not seeing anything but open land enclosed by the fence lines. I turn around to look around some more, and sure enough I see a big hoard of animals grouped together, staring at me. I heard murmurs of chatter from them. I step towards them, they step back. “Where am I? How did I get here? What happened?” I asked. They all stay away from me, but then a bigger pig, a paled pink pig with brown spots and a cut left ear, hobbles over towards me. “My name is Henry, welcome to Richardson’s Farm”, he says. I must have had a puzzled look on my face, because Henry repeated what he said, except much, much slower. I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t know where to go. I needed answers, and I needed them quickly. I had to get home, I had to find Her and see if she is okay. I hoped that She was not affected as I was. I had to escape.