A House Divided | Teen Ink

A House Divided

By Alissa Ayala BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Alissa Ayala BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

Two-hundred years ago, a group of rebels made plans to assassinate the leader of the Carsian Empire, Marcus Infinius. The Infinius family had ruled the land of Carsia for many years. There were many who liked the Infinius family, but an equal number envied and despised them as well. Over time, conflict arose and a radical party formed in opposition to the Infinius family. The tensions between this new party and those who remained loyal to the Infinius family created a divide between the Carsian people, splitting them into rivaling groups; the Fieritans and Tromiscans.

The assassination of Marcus Infinius sparked a rebellion among the people who would become known as the Fieritans. Many others, known as the Tromiscans, maintained their allegiance towards the Infinius family. The hatred between the two groups was so deep that interactions between them always led to violent confrontations. As time passed, the divide became even more widespread and it was never questioned…
Now, almost two-hundred years after the assassination, hidden deep in the Carsian forest, a secret cottage is home to a couple that has committed a most grave act. That act has condemned their child forever as outcast. “I believe it is the time to tell him,” says Lionel, the boy’s father.

“No! It is far too dangerous, he is still only a boy!” frantically cries Isabel, the boy’s mother.

Meanwhile, Declan, their son, moves towards the door of his bedroom. “Tell me what?” demands Declan, as he bursts out of his room.
“Nothing dear, you need not worry about your father’s babbling,” says Isabel.

“For God’s sake, he is sixteen. Declan is old enough now to learn about who he really is and where he comes from,” argues Lionel.
Declan does not react to his parent’s feud. He stares at them indignantly, waiting for an explanation. It isn’t the first time that Declan’s questions have been left unanswered. Whenever the subject of his family’s history arises, his parents give away few details, if any, and then casually change the subject. Finally, his father steps forward.

“Son, remember the story of the Carsian Empire? How the assassination plan split the people into the Fieritans and Tromiscans? Your mother and I have put you in great danger as we have defied the unspoken law of this land,” Lionel says with a calm voice that betrays the fear in his eyes.

“What do you mean you have put me in great danger?” Declan struggles to comprehend what his father says.
“Nothing, you are perfectly safe! Now, please go back into your room while I talk to your father.” Isabel rarely ever speaks with such a demanding tone.

“No! I need to know what you are keeping from me; I am not a child anymore!” Declan quickly turns back to his father, his eyes begging to hear this terrible secret.

“Son, there is a reason we live out here in the forest, so far away from the rest of the world. I am a Tromiscan, and your mother is a Fieritan. Just by being together, we have risked much. Because you are our son, we have committed what many people believe to be an even more unimaginable crime, and for that we could not be sorrier.” Lionel looks at Declan, pleading with forgiveness for this awful burden that his son does not yet understand. Declan doesn’t respond. He does not do anything. He feels trapped. The cottage he has known as his home suddenly feels like a prison.

“Mother, Father, I want to visit your old homes where you grew up, where you first met. I feel empty not knowing where I come from and I need to learn about my past,” says Declan.

“You can learn everything right here where it is safe. You have no idea what kind of danger you are facing,” Isabel says frantically.
“Let him go,” whispers his father, “it is the only way for him to be whole again.”

Declan makes way to his room, contemplating his journey to the Fieritan land. He sneaks into his father’s room, opens the closet and takes out his father’s tan and blue traveling clothes.

Declan abruptly leaves the only home he has ever known without saying another word to his mother and father. Two days into his journey, he encounters a valley. Hidden between the hills he finds a small hamlet, swarming with people going through their daily lives.

As Declan looks around, he notices the entire population donned in garb of white and gold. As soon as Declan enters the village, everyone immediately stops their tasks and crowds towards him. His clothing obviously marks him as an outsider.

Whispers from the village people hang in the air, while Declan, still in a state of confusion, stares blankly out toward the crowd. “Who is that?” someone asks. “A Tromiscan, in our village, it can’t be. We must be under attack!” cries a woman in the crowd.

“My name is Declan. Do not fear, my mother Isabel is a Fieritan.”
“And your father?” insists the crowd.
“He is a Tromiscan.” The crowd shudders and then parts. Out steps an old man with short gray hair and a white shirt.

“You mentioned that you were the son of Isabel…my daughter,” says the old man. “She has not been welcome here since she ran away with that vermin, Lionel. As for you, your presence here is not permitted, for you are as much a Tromiscan as your father.”

Declan suddenly realizes that the crowd is converging on him. A hand lashes out aggressively and grabs the front of his shirt. Why won’t they accept me?, wonders Declan. Aren’t I as much as a Fieritan as the rest…

Declan senses the crowds’ intention to harm him and he decides to flee through the forest. He runs as fast as he can, into the forest and away from the crowd. He dodges tree roots and rocks while making his way swiftly through the forest. With Fieritans on his heels, Declan speeds up into an all-out sprint. After what seems like an hour, Declan emerges from the forest into a clearing unknown to him. To his relief, the Fieritans are nowhere to be seen. Up ahead, he sees a mysterious group of people gathered together in a meeting. He stealthily approaches them trying to stay hidden. As he approaches, he notices these people are neither Fieritans nor Tromiscans; in fact, they don’t even look Carsian at all. Hiding behind an ancient pine, Declan eavesdrops on the meeting.

“The Fieritans and Tromiscans are divided and weak. The split of the Carsian Empire is imminent, now is the perfect time to seize our opportunity and take over Carsia!” Declan hears a strange man say. “We shall attack the Fieritans first, invade their village and burn it to the ground. As soon as this is accomplished, we shall restock our supplies and turn our efforts to the Tromiscans,” says the apparent leader of this ominous battalion.

Upon hearing about the plan of assault, Declan hurriedly makes his way towards Tromiscan territory in an effort to warn them of the impending attack. If the Tromiscans are as outnumbered as the Fieritans, Declan believes that the only way they stand a chance is to unite forces. Luckily for Declan, he heard the exact location of the Tromiscans settlement from the ranting officer. The Tromiscan village was hidden along the rolling foothills of Carsia.

“If I take a short cut along the stream, I can be there in half the time as the invading enemy,” Declan thinks aloud. In a day’s time, Declan reaches the Tromiscan border. As soon as Declan takes his first step into the Tromiscan village, he is bombarded with questions regarding his identity. Even with his Tromiscan clothing, the villagers can tell he doesn’t belong. Any boy his age should be away training in his first year in the military. A man who appears to be of high stature, based on his uniform, asks Declan to come with him. Declan, not knowing what else to do, agrees with the man’s request.
“You’re not from around here, are you? A young man of your age would not be wearing such a revered military travel uniform,” says the Tromiscan.
“These are my father’s. I took them with me for my journey to learn about my past. I have only recently learned that my father, Lionel, is a Tromiscan,” Declan immediately replies.
“Lionel? I thought he was murdered by that temptress Fieritan, Isabel, and her cohorts,” says the disgusted Tromiscan.
“No, you have it all wrong. Isabel is my mother. She and my father escaped together to protect me from her father. He would have murdered all of us,” Declan says defensively.
“I see,” says the Tromiscan. “I think it is only fair that you know your father, Lionel, is my brother. And unlike those barbaric Fieritans, I shall not treat you as an enemy or an outsider. Now, tell me about your journey.”
“Truthfully Uncle, I have already visited the Fieritans and only barely escaped. However, after escaping, I did hear something I think you should know. Hostile forces from outside of Carsia are making their way into our land and are threatening not only the Fieritans, but the Tromiscans as well. I believe that, with their numbers, they could easily take over your village and the Fieritans village as well, unless the Fieritans and Tromiscans unite. I know there is a deep feud between you…“

Declan’s uncle interrupted him, “Feud? The Fieritans blatantly planned the assassination of our own Marcus Infinius. I have no desire to work with them.”

“I have journeyed through half of Carsia and have seen the bounties our land can bring to both the Fieritans and the Tromiscans. It is not something that should be lost because of this long lasting feud!” says Declan desperately.

“I can hear the worry in your voice,” says the uncle. “If you can get the Fieritans to work peacefully with us, we will join together with them.”
“Have your troops assembled; they plan to attack the Fieritans first. In the meantime, we must leave at this instant and warn the Fieritans of the situation,” Declan advises his Uncle.

Declan’s uncle hurries to get two horses to speed up their journey. They travel in silence as all thoughts revolve around how to keep Carsia protected. The duo arrives in the Fieritan territory in what feels like no time. They rush through the village ignoring all of the confusion and insults. After a short search, they find the person they are looking for, the leader of the Fieritans.

Without invitation or greeting, Declan explains everything he overheard about the oncoming assault. After listening carefully, the leader of the Fieritans stands up and walks to Declan.

“How do I know you are being truthful? Why should I believe that this is not just some plan for you dirty Tromiscans to take over our land? How do I…”

“You don’t know,” interjects Declan. “From what I understand, you have no reason to trust each other at all. I stand before all of you today to tell you there is a threat far greater than this feud among former brethren. Enemies are advancing past the deep forest of Carsia, their numbers are great and their lust for land is even greater. Don’t trust each other, that’s fine, but if you can’t get past your stubborn ways, it will be your selfishness that kills us all.”

“Young Declan is right,” says the uncle to the leader of the Fieritans. “We have more of a reason not to trust you, considering it was your ancestors that assassinated Marcus Infinius. We are willing to overlook that to protect Carsia’s boarders. Accept our offer of peace, and it will be under your guidance that Carsia will return to its former greatness.”

“No,” answers the leader of the Fieritans. “It’ll be under Declan that we unite as one. For too long we have been fighting. It is time for the Fieritans and Tromiscans to make their way in a new era, as Carsians… ”

Declan looks around the room, all eyes are on him. “Gentlemen,” Declan addresses them. “Prepare for battle, the invading armies are near. We must strike before they enter the village.” As the leaders ride away, Declan looks along the tree line toward the setting sun. I’ve done it, thinks Declan. I have united the villages. A sense of pride washes over Declan. No longer does he feel empty about his past, but he is proud to be the one who has reunited the Carsians.

A day later, the boy awakes to sounds of clashing steel. As the first battle has begun, he sits alone in fright knowing that any outcome, good or bad, will be because of him…

My brother is very into battle and war. He inspired and helped me write this piece. (Paul Ayala)