The Chair | Teen Ink

The Chair

May 6, 2013
By MrTalbot BRONZE, Springboro, Ohio
MrTalbot BRONZE, Springboro, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain


The fifth one ended up in France.
“I must go there, all signs now pointed to a small church in Paris” Venator thought.


Arriving on the outskirts of the church grounds, darkness threatened the dying sunset. Venator flowed from tree to tree, crouching in the protection of the shadows. He slipped into the humble church through an open window, the curtains dancing in the breeze. The room he stood in had large, arched ceilings. A single lantern lit the room, its light playing off of the white walls. Stained glass windows surrounded him on all sides, telling him stories of centuries past. Venator found something off about the windows, but dismissed it.
“I must remember the mission,” he thought.
He heard a deep rumbling noise off in the distance. Alarmed, Venator slipped back into the shadows. Realizing he was of no immediate harm, he strode down the hallway, the rumbling becoming louder as he reached a huge arched doorway. The door showed the wear of thousands of years. He now realized that the sound was some sort of chant, but the words were of no meaning to him. He peered through the large keyhole, the chanting now pounding in his ears.
What Venator saw he could hardly believe. Men wearing large, flowing robes were gathered in a small triangle at the center of the room, chanting words of a language Venator had never heard of. Venator could just make out what appeared to be a man sitting serenely in a chair, floating above the triangle. This is exactly what Venator had feared. The ancient society, Malum, had succeeded in locating the fifth of the seven chairs, and had beaten him to it. Few had heard of the elusive Malum, and none but Venator now know their true purpose. His final mission was to destroy the group. Malum had taken everything from him. They had single-handedly destroyed The Brotherhood and killed the last of his family; his brother, Sanguis. This was his last chance before they grew too powerful for anyone to oppose them. If they were to acquire the all seven chairs, all Hell would break loose. Out of the chaos and destruction of humanity, Malum would be able to create their perfect race. A shining Utopia of perfect humans that would not disrupt their order over all.
Venator heard footsteps echo off the huge ceilings, and immediately disappeared in the shadows. He drew his Sai from their sheaths; their long pointed shafts joined by the two curved prongs gleamed in the darkness. A figure strode around the corner. Venator leaped into action, smashing the shaft of the Sai down onto the man’s collarbone, shattering it. The other Sai whipped around, catching the man directly on the temple. The man crumpled, broken. Venator drove the shaft of the Sai through the man’s neck, killing him instantly.
Venator knelt, saying a few words, “Delium defunctorum per Dei misericordiam requiescant in pace.”
Venator dragged the man into the shadows, donning the man’s dark robes. Time was now of the essence, for they could easily find the body, He had to move fast.
Venator strode once again towards the looming wooden door, not quite knowing what he intended to do. He felt the perfectly weighted balance of the Sai in his hands. Venator burst through the wooden door and threw one of his Sai, hurtling towards the hooded man in the floating chair. The second the Sai left his hand, he knew it wasn’t quite right. It was just low of the man’s head, just catching him on the shoulder. The hooded man did not flinch.
“You should not have come,” the hooded man boomed.
“Sanguis?” Venator questioned. “What are you doing here? I thought…”
“Silence!” Sanguis commanded. “You have no business here.”
“I am sorry brother, but I cannot let you do this. This destruction will not help anyone,” said Venator.
“And who are you to oppose me! You are too weak to face me. You couldn’t destroy me if your hands were around my neck,” replied Sanguis.
“What you speak rings true,” said Venator. “But fortunately, I will not need to bury family today. Had you not destroyed The Brotherhood, for I know now that it was you who destroyed it, it would not have come to this.”
Knowing he had no will to fight his only family, Venator did the only thing he could. Venator sprinted towards the triangle of chanting Malum members, the chant now faster than ever before.
“This will only set Malum back a few hundred years, but hopefully it would be time enough for my young daughter to understand what she was meant to do,” thought Venator.
He bursted into the center of the triangle, driving his Sai into the ground, shattering the Sai. A burst of energy visible from thousands of miles away, and the church with everyone in it was wiped off the face of the Earth. Alone on a high mountaintop, in a vast wilderness, stood the fifth chair, waiting.


The author's comments:
This story is inspired from the illustration by Harris Burdick,"The Seven Chairs"