Chased | Teen Ink

Chased

April 30, 2013
By soccertrackstarqwerty BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
soccertrackstarqwerty BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Chased
Wap, wap, wap, wap, Arianna hit the ground running from a daring leap off a red rock over-hang. As she gained her balance she whipped her head around, her long strawberry blonde braid flying, to look over her shoulder at the tracker-dragon. Large, algae mud colored scales, that pussed dirty yellowish brown liquid and oozed sickly, fleshy pink goop, covered its enormous, cruel, powerful body. It’s most hideous feature, are its three, large tire-sized, blood-red eyes, with milk-white pupils, which swept the reddish, rocky mountainous terrain, in search of her flying strawberry blonde braid and worn light brown leather jacket. Arianna searched for a place to take cover from the hideous beast, and found a large patch of poison rock, which she crouched underneath, holding her breath. She let out a relieved sigh, as she felt the woosh of foul smelling air as the tracker-dragon passed over her hiding place.
“Finally, Demitri, the Lunacrest is ours,” she exclaimed, “That idiot prince didn’t even notice it was gone until it was too late!” Arianna pulled a miniature land-whale out of her pocket, and breathed in her ancient tongue, “Camalathres poruthra,” to the little whale which means, “Stay close, friend.” The little whale floated off around a red boulder and disappeared. Then she pulled a glowing, sea foam colored orb out of a leather satchel hanging from her side. She let go of it and watched, mesmerized, as it hung, as if suspended by an invisible string in mid-air.
“Well, we are really in the middle of no-where, are we?” she said snatching the orb out of the air, and shoving into her satchel. Arianna peeked up at the angry bloated sky, looked like it was about to burst. She let out a whistle of two low notes and one high one, after a few seconds Demitri came floating around another red boulder, and into her outreached hand. She set him her hood and, with another nervous glance at the sky, began to pick her way down the treacherous mountainside.
“Camryn, Camryn, Camryn,” she kept on chanting to herself as she worked her way down the mountain. She abruptly halted with a gasp and sucked in a breath as the terrible memory she had been trying to stuff were she would never have to see it ever again.
“CAMRYN DID YOU CRUSH THOSE LEATHERBERRY, COCKLEVINE, AND COPPERCORN LEAVES TOGETHER FOR JINXTERRA?”
“OF COURSE, THEY’RE ALREADY ON HER DOORSTEP.”
“GOOD NOW START ON THE SCAR SALVE.”
ALL OF A SUDDEN THERE WAS AN EARSPLITTING EXPLOSION ADRIANNA LOOKED BACK AND SAW CAMRYN THROWN BACKWARDS INTO THE WALL, BUT SOMETHING WAS VERY VERY WRONG, DEEP RED LIQUID SPEWED THROUGH THE AIR AND MINGLED WITH CAMRYN’S AGONIZED SCREAMS. ADRIANNA RUSHED OVER TO CAMRYN’S WRITHING BODY, SHE KNELT DOWN AND GAVE HIM GARTHBERRY TO PUT HIM TO SLEEP.
SHE CALLED DEMITRI, GRABBED HER SATCHEL AND LEFT.
Adrianna shook her head to try to cast away the sounds of Camryn’s screaming. She could see the village, a tiny cluster of brown brick dwellings wreathed by lush green foliage. When she made it down the rest of the mountain, and raced through the village into her building. But when she walked in the door Camryn was dead.