Procrastination | Teen Ink

Procrastination

April 2, 2013
By Nika_ GOLD, Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
Nika_ GOLD, Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one gets through to the father except through me. - Jesus Christ


Dum loquor, hora fugit (Time is flying while I speak)
The quest was given, the goal set, and I embarked upon my journey, my mind ready to be put to the test. My job, to rid the great whiteness of the blank and fill it with the symbols of culture and wisdom. I took my tools in my hands and started. My sword, sharpened to a point, made a trail through the enemy that is emptiness. However, as skilled as I am with that sword, soon, a mistake was made, but my shield made up for it, making it as though I had never erred. Yes, hurrah! A tremendous start as the land was filled with the signs of my homeland and oblivion was banished from the land! However, as the sun set upon my glorious achievements, I realized that a single day would be insufficient to achieve my mission. So, I set down my weapons and rested.

A day passed, and it was time to work again. The symbols covered but a portion of the land, and the void must be filled! I rushed into battle, fighting back the blank. Then, a change came over me. My hand became heavy, my sword fell, and my shield lied dormant upon the ground. As fatigue overcame me, I reached down, grabbed my steel, and raised it to lay one more daunting blow upon the blank. My sword broke, and I stood before my opponent useless, naught but an unfinished symbol and powder from bits of my blade were evidence of what had transpired. I resolved that I shall obtain a new weapon the following day, and I left the land that was under my influence.

A week had passed, and the time given to me to attain my destiny was coming to a close. A fortnight I was given and half of that had already transpired. However, the enemy had tactics to divert my attention. Throughout the nights when I should have been leaving my mark upon the territory of the blank, I was given a gift. This gift, the great black box which bestowed upon me images from another dimension. Marked by an X, I soon began to know what horrors it held in store. Although at first seeming to be a blessing, it sucked me into another world of pain and suffering, where I was the only one to save it from the monsters within. Appealing to my sense of heroism, I of course worked tirelessly sun up to sun down, ignoring such trivial necessities as food, drink, sleep, and social interaction. However, when the world was safe again, I reached an epiphany. This world I had spent such a great deal of time in did not exist, and all in all the results of my exploits were for naught. I had wasted my time upon something that did not dwell in reality! Now free from the spell, I returned to my duties.

No! I stared at the blank, white as far as the eye can see, the sun blistering my eyes as I thrust my sword right into the center of the blank army. However, they remained steadfast, invading my mind and filling it with their nothingness. Now, though the symbols were fresh in my mind, I could not transfer them into the expanse, my sword refusing to move and I, the warrior, unable to remember the way to beat back the empty white that I was usually praised for destroying. I regressed to my abode, deciding that when I remembered how to swing a sword and order the symbols, I would return.

BlankBlankBlankBlankBlankBlankBlankBlank. It filled my thoughts, it invaded my dreams. The next day was the day, and the victor of this short but brutal war would be decided. Since that fateful day when my sword broke in two, event after event had occurred to keep me from my responsibilities. I should’ve just accepted the facts. I would fail, bring dishonor upon my once proud name, and have to look into the eyes of disappointment…

No! Never will I allow the blank to defeat me! I stood up, took my sword in hand, and when the blank laughed at me, I cut through the one closest to me, silencing their demonic delight. A small start perhaps, but that tiny triumph made me remember how natural it felt to be on this battlefield. My skills were few, my abilities low in number, but if I could do one thing right, it would be bringing death upon the blank. Now, as the moon begin to crawl it’s way to dominance, I slashed and hacked my way through the hordes of blank before me, the insignias of understanding falling behind my appendages in perfect unison. Using the very energy that came from my fear of failure, and the blank themselves for inspiration, I had fought in a way I had not fought before! Soon, I had not just filled this region with my emblems, but another as well, and I pushed the blank back all the way to a third land, diminishing their power. I am victorious!


The author's comments:
Next time you see someone procrastinating, know this is what they go through!