Robots and Cyborgs | Teen Ink

Robots and Cyborgs

By Hamzawaseem GOLD, Lahore, Other
Hamzawaseem GOLD, Lahore, Other

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." ~Einstein

It has already been more than a decade since the dawn of the 21st century; science and technology have brought a dynamic revolution in almost all the facets of life. Through the crests and troughs of my not-so-long life, I have stumbled upon many machines of diverse kinds and stupefying variations. In this so-called cyberpunk era, where it is quite hard to differentiate between fact and fiction, the machine considered to be the most ground-breaking is probably the computer. But this computer has now evolved into a much more sophisticated form, commonly called a robot.

In my country Pakistan, astonishingly there is no deficiency of robots. These robots are fairly different from other robots. The funny thing is that they have 100 percent human DNA. These bio-robots grasp education by attending schools, colleges and above all, academies. The robots I am chattering about are in fact the students. Some of these robots are my class-fellows.

I am not being rude in any way to give them the grand title of “robots” as they deem “memorization” to be the golden key to go through exams, get good marks (I confess some of them do get brilliant marks) and achieve academic degrees. It seems as if this memorization virus has penetrated into the blood of the students of these days, as if a mosquito has really bitten them, attempting to enjoy their sweet blood. All they need is an anti-memorization or “anti-ratta” vaccine, but do we have it? No, not yet!

It is really a pity that these students do not comprehend the “joy of understanding”, which is the essence and keystone of education. As a matter of fact, it is the aftermath of our defective education system. I am not a part of any “Zara Sochiye”-like initiative. Then, one may ask, “Why am I being a mockingbird on this issue?” It is because I have tasted the perks of the true education along with sweet syrup of joy of understanding.

When it comes to me, I do not classify myself as a robot. Rather I fall in the category of cyborgs (half-humans and half-robots). I used to be a normal human some years ago. Just to survive through this traditional system of education, I had to give up my desire of being normal, and ultimately became a cyborg. My cyborg mind comes halfway between humans and robots. It can memorize but not with as much knack as those bio-robotic minds. Unlike those minds of robots, mine can do much creative stuff. And that’s the sheer reason I prefer being a cyborg to being a robot.

There are other cyborgs like me. Some people are lucky enough to retain their human self and get education in my country. But most of the institutions are flooded or rather jam-packed with the aforementioned robots. To become a progressive nation in today’s world, this detrimental situation needs to be alleviated at the first priority. There are volunteers out there working with their utmost efforts to bring a change. My sincere salute goes to all of them and I pray that our next generations may not have to face these problems as there may be a constructive revolution in education very soon.

Written by a humble cyborg...

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

this is so creativie! i expect a sequal!!;)

on Jun. 23 2013 at 8:01 am
ThoughtToner BRONZE, Karachi, Other

"Perhaps the greatest outcome of all education is to be able to do what you have to. Whether you like it or not" --Thomas Henry Huxley.

Seriously, it was quite the Stephen Leacock type of rundown let alone the sarcasm, though it was worth it (the education system). I admire the writing skills how the wrap up went. And the terminology 'cyborg' was really something interesting enough to remember! :) keep up the good work --and do get it published in the native magazines. that'd add another thing to our future focal point (God be with us).

on Jun. 20 2013 at 9:47 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

I will! Definitely. I'll post it on her timeline right away. :D

Hamzawaseem GOLD, Lahore, Other

It's really relieving to see I've got people supporting me. I salute your best friend. Do show this article to her if you can. Thank you so much for reading!!!

SugarcoatIt BRONZE, Delhi, Other
Great Job Hamza! It  is indeed a really informative and crafty piece. I am a quick reader yes, but I read through your article liek butter! :P  

- Maya Angelou

Hamza! Okay firstly, with the first paragraph nobody could've had the slightest idea that the article was going in quite a different direction then the reader's eye could originally decipher. Now, I really appreciated this categorization, I love your writing style, serious yet with the reflection of a laugh and enormous amounts of irony. Oh, irony! It may take writers years to find irony but I suppose true inspiration is in itself ironic. :P Secondly, on the views I SO COMPLETEY agree! You know my best friend intends to do CSS and then revolutionize the education system we all loathe.. I admire her an awful lot for her conviction and for her noble cause. I think if there were enough people who actually realized this then maybe we could actually all come together to fix this :D

Zach_M said...
Robots and Cyborgs:
I have to be honest, I had no idea where this article was going, but you never fail to impress me with your informative writing abilities. Your comparisons flowed so majestically, and I love your idea that you are trying to impress on your audience. You truly do have talent that seeps through the end of your pen. Towards the ending of this article, I didn not want it to end, because I was curious of how far you could take this, but what you left me with, made me desire more of this article. Antoher outstanding piece; you did a wonderful job, and i look forward to more of your writing.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

so relatable!! Your naive language is amazing to read!

Scribbleaway. BRONZE, Karachi, Other

Paper is more patient then people. Anne Frank
“It doesn’t matter. I have books, new books, and I can bear anything as long as there are books.”
“Sometimes I think books are the only friends worth having.”
“Fill your paper with the breathings of you
“Tears are words that need to be written.”

Well- Written I didnt sleep through it. Future Dan brown.

Apostolic-Girl SILVER, Athens, Ohio

...But there are still stars in the dark night sky...

WOW.... GREAT JOB!! this is totally now one of my fave's

on Apr. 12 2013 at 7:26 am
AbbaDabbaDoo PLATINUM, Mountain Grove, Missouri

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise. I guess we know which one you are.

This is a wonderful piece, with mystery and wonder. I believe it is an amazing piece that should be in the magazine!

huntinforwords, Slough, Utah

'If we're all chasing eachothers tails , who wins?'

Mashallah hamza this is some interesting work! Its true about Pakistan.It makes you realise many things.Yo u said it wasnt long :P haha im jk.Keep up the good work!

on Apr. 11 2013 at 5:40 am
Shaas_It_is.. BRONZE, Udupi, Other

Happiness presents itself before man with a crown of sorrow. He who accepts it must accept both.
-Swami Vivekananda

Don't be led by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

it is awesome!! totally relatable!! and keep writing.. love your use of language!!

Nightcat PLATINUM, Dublin, Other

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

Brilliant love you language :)Good luck ...

on Apr. 9 2013 at 12:36 am
PriyaModi BRONZE, Indore, Other

I like the way i am,need no transformation,,,LOVE LIFE.

Nice 1 .. waiting for more such.. :D

SunnyDreams BRONZE, Niger Falls, Other

Can you feel what I have seen, when no one else has lived through what I have?-HalveOfLife

luv how you descibe descirbed the robbot  

Wordfreak1 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

"F*ck you." - Feli to this guy that made her mad.

nice job ham. really interesting really true.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
on Apr. 7 2013 at 11:04 am
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

wow, very original and creative. It was very informative about a future way of life. I love it :)

RainForMe said...
Very origanal.

PurpOreos SILVER, Macomb, Michigan

Keep smiling...Because life is a beautiful thing. And there is so much to smile about!
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" Benjamin Franklin

Wow, all I can say is WOW. This kept me entertained because it was that intresting and infromataive . Keep writing, half robot :) You have T-A-L-E-N-T. One day I hope they fix the problem also. 5 stars!