The Dark Child Chronicles Book 1 Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

The Dark Child Chronicles Book 1 Chapter 1

January 24, 2012
By DCCBro97 SILVER, Evanston, Wyoming
DCCBro97 SILVER, Evanston, Wyoming
7 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Book 1
The Society

Chapter I
Adam


Adam walked along the highway. Cars and semis zooming past. He had to get away from it all. From his past life. Night was a good time. It was dark. No body would know he was gone until it's too late.

He had a plan. Once he crossed the border into Wyoming, he would find the nearest town. Live on the streets until he could find a job and afford an apartment.

He could do it.

Adam speed up. His messy black hair flying behind him like a blind crow.

Adam went faster, and faster, and faster. He saw the giant sign that read, “Now entering Wyoming.”

Adam slowed to a walk, and got to the other side of the sign. The twelve-year old boy looked at it with his dark brown eyes.

“Now entering Colorado.” it read.

Tears fell down Adam flat face. He stared at it. Just stared. Crying.

His old life. Then he turned around to take a look at the new frontier. It felt like a movie.

The movie suddenly lost it's budget.

Adam's huge dramatic moment was suddenly ruined with a man standing behind him. He was tall. Way tall. Adam guessed 6'10”? 6'11”?

The man's silver hair was illuminated by the passing vehicles. His blood red eyes staring into Adam's soul. He wore a red zip-up hoodie to fend of the cold October air, even though it wasn't zipped. His legs were covered with long dark-blue jeans.

He bared a striking resemblance to a snake.

The snake-like man spoke.

“Well, I didn't think you'd run away.” he said. A sudden gust of wind waved the man's hoodie like a matador's cape.

“W-what?” Adam said, trying to sound tough, but obviously failing. Adam's hand secretly clamped onto the iPhone in his pocket.

“Adam, no need to run. It's all right.” the snake-like man took a step towards Adam.

“How do you know my name?” asked Adam. His voice cracking with both natural reasons, and tears.

“Because I sent you here, Adam Onseya.”

Adam squinted at the man. The snake man was trying to sound smart, but had just failed by getting Adam's last name wrong. It was Bass. Adam Bass. Not On-sight or whatever.

“Who the heck are you?” asked Adam trying to sound tough again. “How do I know you're not gonna attack me?”

The man took another step closer.

“No need to act tough, Adam.”

“Oh sorry!” snapped Adam. “I'm acting? You're the one acting like my friend! Like you're not a total creep! You know my name! You know I ran away! You’re a stalker!”

The man had come very close during Adam's little freak-out. He was now within fist-range.

Who would go first?

A passing semi set light on Adam's Shoshone face. All it did the man, is made him a shadow that looked like a snake standing on it's tail.

“My name is Timothy Jenkins.” said the man. His shadow disappeared.

Good, thought Adam. I've got a name for the cops. “What do you want?” Adam said, the headlight focusing on the road instead of his face.

“I need you.” said Timothy, picking up an unseen item from the sagebrush. “I need a favor. That only you can do.” He took a small step closer.

“What?” Adam said, now pulling his iPhone out.

“Need to kill you.” he said. Timothy brought a hammer down on Adam's pigeon nest of hair.

Adam fell down, dropping his iPhone. Adam was still fully aware of what was going on. He was bleeding. Timothy was kneeling next to him.

A pick-up truck stopped by the two, and a middle-aged man walked out.

“What happened?” asked the man.

“Oh.” said Timothy very calmly. “My son here has a disease. He passed out conpulsivly. It's fine. I've got a car. And he'll be up in a few minutes. It happens.”

It was like Timothy planned this happening.

No.

Timothy had planned this. He obviously set the hammer, and came up with the story. Duh he planned it.

Timothy leaned close to Adam. “Nighty-night Onseya.” Timothy said from behind. He stabbed a needle into Adam's back, and Adam's vision disappeared.


Adam's eyes snapped open. He was sitting in a chair in the dark. He couldn't see anything. Nothing.

A sudden vibration sound and a light not one foot away from him told him he could still see and hear.

It was his iPhone. Somebody was calling him. He tried to reach out his hand, but he found he was tied up.

The name, “Tyler Bass” flashed on the screen, along with a red button and a green button. Green saying, “Approve” red saying, “Ignore”. His thirteen year old brother was calling him. He didn't care about his original plans. He had to get home.

Adam leaned forward in the chair, and stuck out his toungue. He aimed for the green button, but he was just out of reach.

“Forget it.” said a cracking female voice. “Timothy puts our phone there to mess with us.” a light flicked on, and a tied-up girl with curly blond hair and a loose jacket sat about a yard away. “I'm Sarah. I would stick out my hand to shake, but...”

Adam looked around. He felt...different. Felt like he wanted to kill. “I'm Adam. I'd probably do the same.”

Sarah laughed. She looked as a small Samsung phone flashed. “My sister, Hannah.” she said. “She's eleven. Oh, and I'm twelve.”

“So am I.” said Adam. What was with this feeling?

“Who was calling you?” she asked.

“My thirteen year old brother. Tyler.”

Sarah nodded her head. She was a bit strange, but also fun.

“What's with this feeling I have?” Adam asked. “Like I just want to kill.”

“I don't know. But I have it too. Timothy won't explain anything for me.”

The author's comments:
This is simply a teaser for my book. Not the final version of the first chapter even. Just what I have. Please, I value your input and I ask you to give me your criticism.