Dealings with the Hydra | Teen Ink

Dealings with the Hydra

By C.K.Snow SILVER, Morden, Other
C.K.Snow SILVER, Morden, Other

Reports had been given to us, telling us that there was a serpent-like creature in the area. It was killing off settlers and needed to be dealt with as soon as possible.

Tom was away, so I had to take my younger sister, Victoria, who was being trained as an assassin. Her master thought dealing with this monster would be a good challenge for her, so I agreed to take Victoria along.

We traveled to a village the attacks had been reported by. We spoke to the local tavern owner, who explained the markings found on the bodies.

“They were torn apart. What was left of them was horrible. Their skin seemed to have dissolved and their faces were beyond recognition. Poor souls.” He said, shaking his head grimly. We said a quick thank you, setting off for the swamp. I thought that the creature may be a hydra, or something of the like. The description the tavern owner gave us fit with the hydra.

Unfortunately, we could not hire a boat, since the fishermen were afraid of this newfound threat. So we trod through the marsh, our boots squelching noisily with each step. I believe we made enough noise to attract the beast, for it came stomping to us. I immediately recognized it as a hydra, clarifying my guess. Tearing off the cuff of my sleeve, I urged Victoria to do the same, to ensure we did not inhale the hyrda's poisonous breath. It roared angrily at us, amplified by the nine heads. Victoria lifted her arm, the gleam of a silver throwing knife in her hand. She hurled it at the creature, aimed directly at where the heart was located. It bounced off the hydra’s skin, seeming to only irritate it more than harming it. I drew my blade, ready to fight.

Three of the hydra’s heads dived under the water, slithering toward us. Victoria and I leapt about as if our feet were on fire, determined to avoid the venomous jaws of the hydra.

As we dodged the venom spat at us and the three submerged heads, I lit a branch on fire. I recalled Hercules in Greek mythology and the tactics he employed to eliminate the hydra. He would cut off a head, and before two more would grow back, he would cauterize the stump, preventing any flesh growth. Victoria followed suit, taking a dry branch and igniting it.

I managed to get close enough without the venom splattering onto my skin. Hoisting my arm, I swung rapidly until the blade sliced through the skin, tearing the head from its body. Instantaneously, I shoved the burning stick into the stump, the flesh sizzling and a putrid smell floated through the air. The creature squealed with complete and utter pain, its other heads glaring at me hazardously. As lithe as a cat, Victoria slashed through two heads, Victoria putting her burning stick in one while I did the same to the other.

The tail managed to swipe away Victoria’s sword, leaving her completely unarmed. I threw my short sword to her and she caught it expertly. Just a head came to strike; she thrust her sword twixt its eyes, immediately scorching the injured head. The three submerged heads resurfaced, constantly searching for a way to kill us. The creature was becoming less and less of a threat to Victoria and I.

Finally, the creature was dead, its blood polluting the marshy water. Victoria and I were soaked in blood, a triumphant grin on our faces. We sloshed through the waters, returning home for a day’s rest.

AlexanderBurton BRONZE, Pittsfield, Pennsylvania

"Fortune Favours The Bold." The Virgil

Great work i love the action. Dialogue would spice it up

emru4534 SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

I love it! only suggestion....Maaaaaaaaybe diolougue to juice it up...but even that it was really good.

C.K.Snow SILVER, Morden, Other
Please rate and comment! Thank you!