Death Tones | Teen Ink

Death Tones

By matticus SILVER, Port St. Lucie, Florida
matticus SILVER, Port St. Lucie, Florida

"Man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward."

Hello, Maverick Davidson? Yes I was just calling to- oh…oh! This is your voicemail, my mistake. Let me just start over.
Hi, my name is Death and before you press the number seven to delete this message I just want you to know that this isn’t a joke.
I am the Death.
The pale rider.
Bringer of eternal sleep.
The grim reaper.
Well you get the point.
Anyway, I’m sure you’re wondering by now why I’m calling you. Don’t worry; you’re not scheduled to die anytime soon. In fact, the only reason why I’m calling you at all is because I came across a miner problem this morning while skimming through my Book of Names.
Normally I like to start my mornings off with a hot cup of coffee and some fresh fruit but my espresso machine was broken and all the strawberries had gone to mush so you can only imagine what a bad day I was already having. I’m sure you don’t want to hear about my problems though so let me just explain a few things before I finally get to the point.
The Book of Names is this giant dictionary of sorts that I carry around with me everywhere. It has every single living person catalogued into it with summaries of their lives and the dates on which they are supposed to meet with me. It used to be a real hassle to lug around but after the new Ipad came out I decided to invest in one and convert the whole thing to an eBook file. It takes up about one thousand gigs of space but all in all, I think it was worth the five hundred dollars I spent at Best Buy. Not to mention the wonders it’s done for my back! I’m rambling again though aren’t I? Sorry, I have a terrible habit of doing that. I could just go on and on for hours If you let me.
Anyway, about that problem I wanted to address with you.
It’s really not too serious when you look at it from a…broad point of view.
Okay so here I go.
Your name isn’t in the book anymore.
It was yesterday…but now it’s not.
It’s gone.
Poof! Just like that.
So for all intents and purposes…you no longer exist.
If you could just give me a call back at this number I would really like to try and solve this before things start to get messy.
And they will get messy Maverick, believe me. They will.
I look forward to hearing back from you and I hope the rest of your day goes well.

Maverick clicked the end call button of his phone and turned to look pointedly at the girl sitting next to him.
“I’ve gotten at least six messages from that guy in the past three days, each one crazier than the last.”

This is just the first page of a new story I've been working on. Opinions?

Manish9 SILVER said...
Manish9 SILVER, Kanpur, Other
great stuff ... keep them coming!!!

on Dec. 6 2011 at 6:28 am
Kimberly1420 BRONZE, Singapore, Other
Great, this is really interesting! Hope to read the next part to this xxx