Characters | Teen Ink

Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Nov. 3 2011 at 9:05 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

GzusFreak10: That's okay.  I can tell by your username you are very involved in your faith.  And yes, you did word it a bit poorly.  

But don't worry about it.  Thank you for apologizing.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

ksaurus200, while I appreciate your support, I would prefer people keep their comments related on my story.

EVERYONE ELSE: This article is not my perspective on what is happening.  It is not intended to belittle your religion and beliefs.  This is fiction, for crying out loud!

GzusFreak10 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
@CarrieAnn: I'm sorry if i got preachy. I really didn't mean to. I guess i said it poorly, but i was trying to say how impressed i am by how close you came to what i believe is truth. I'm sorry if i put you on the offensive.

Dino-chan BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

"death cannot stop true love only delay it for a while" westly the princess bride

i hate it when peoepl bring religon into this stuff it agrivates me no one really knows whats true or not i could be u might be no one knows

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

_emilia_ SILVER, Somers Point, New Jersey

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Awsome. It's such a good idea and it's soo new!!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Sure, I'll check it out.  Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

I never thought about the aliens getting bored and this makes perfect since ;) You did a really good job writing this and I like the dialogue the Aliens used. It twas great! Would you mind checking my stuff out? Thanks!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

BluBliss GOLD said...
BluBliss GOLD, New York, New York

Bella's love for Edward was like, "Omg. He's hot. He's mine because he sparkles. Now I'll brood the wholle book while I'm with him."

“Sure. Why not?” LOL!

This whole thing made me laugh! I love it! This is great! I can't see anything wrong with out, it's five-star fantastic!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!

Smile-And-Wave-Boys. SILVER, Rotherhithe, Other

"Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
— Oprah Winfrey

Yeah sure. When I was reading you're story, I at first thought it was going to be quite serious from beginning to end, which doesn't tend to appeal to me, but you balanced it really well by adding funny dialogue. The fact is, I can't give you any critisism because it's pretty much perfect!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks.  But could you please give me more feedback?  Your story is quite long.

— Oprah Winfrey

Thi is so good-I was captivated from the beginning right till the end! Could you comment/rate my article? Thanks :P

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'll check out your article tomorrow.

AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

Sorry, I was in a hurry. I had to rush off to somewhere. I think it's a good article. I've thought of it that way before, but never with aliens! (I think whatever alien is writing my life is a bit of a klutz with the pen.) What I meant about the ending was that it was all hopeful and stuff. I'm glad that they chose not to let a black hole swallow us!! And they're right. Blowing up the earth is cliche.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Sure, I'll check it out.  But could you please give me more detailed feedback?

This is great. I love the ending!

And now for the self-promoton bit: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read 'Bunny'. Just click on my screen name and it will show up! Please rate/comment.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

purpleink GOLD said...
purpleink GOLD, Pendleton, Oregon

The early bird gets the worm but the second rat gets the cheese.

There is more to life besides increasing its speed.

Fantastic idea. if you ask me the paranoia is somewhat true though. lol. Enjoyed reading it!