The Tale of a Creature Named Barrtock | Teen Ink

The Tale of a Creature Named Barrtock

By JustEmily PLATINUM, Cicero, Indiana
JustEmily PLATINUM, Cicero, Indiana

That's HAWT!

There once was a creature named Barrtock. He was exceptionally large, covered in purple scales, and had huge black leathery wings. One of his hobbies was playing in the puppy bowl disguised as a St. Bernard. Barrtock was very evil and lived a life of solitude. It was indeed lonely, but he would never admit it, he was far too proud.

On a sunny afternoon on a tree on a cloud above Hawaii, Barrtock, the insanely frightening creature, slouched, bored and evil. The day was beautiful but he didn’t seem to notice. To him all days were the same: boring, gloomy, and gray. Barrtock sat there in a trance like state. Just as he was about to go to sleep, sitting up, Barrtock noticed something wrong with the water. He looked over the edge of his cloud and into the ocean. The waves were getting larger and the once serene sea began to disappear. In the blink of an eye, a full fledged storm was upon Barrtock’s small little home. The waves audibly crashed beneath him and lighting exploded like crazed pyrotechnics in the sky. As the wind picked up in velocity, Barrtock began to fall from his perch atop his tree.

Once he was knocked of his tree, Barrtock was blown across the South Pacific Ocean. Despite his large wings, Barrtock was incapable of flying. This was due to a devastating birth defect that has plagued him since a young age. Barrtock compensated for his disability by using his large wings to glide through the never ending sky. As Barrtock watched his home fade away in the distance, he wished he still had his map and compass, but he knew that they were blown away by the storm, much like himself. He glided for more hours than he could count and began to get increasingly bored and hungry. To solve both of these problems, he decided to eat ocean birds and terrify innocent whale watchers. After a while, though, all he could do to pass the time was stare blankly at the swiftly moving water below him. Just when his wings began to reach a new level of aching pain, Barrtock spotted land in the distance.

Barrtock glided to a halt on the wet and tropical foreign land. He had absolutely no idea where he was and felt utterly disoriented. He walked around the island until he found shelter and soon began hunting for food. Afraid that there may be something or someone bigger than him on the island, he made evil and menacing noises that would surely scare anyone away. Feeling ill equipped to live on this island, Barrtock decided to get to know his surroundings better. Barrtock climbed a mountain and surveyed his new island home. Instead of feeling more comfortable with the island, Barrtock was overcome with the feeling of loneliness, and he missed his old home on a tree, on a cloud above Hawaii.

Finally Barrtock admitted how lonely he was and has been his entire life. Feeling bummed, not so evil, and lacking self confidence, Barrtock was just about to head to his shelter of a home on the other side of the mountain. Then, without notice, a beautiful, large, pink scaled, white leathery winged creature walked out from behind some trees. Barrtock was shocked into a state of short lived paralysis, but knew that this was his one and only chance to make a friend. As he walked over to the exotic yet familiar creature, he could barely believe his eyes. For as long as he had been alive Barrtock swore he was the only one of his kind, but now he stood right in front of a gorgeous creature much like himself. Immediately after getting to know each other they became friends. The lovely lady creature was named Deborah and Barrtock couldn’t of wish for a better companion. Now that Barrtock was not alone he knew that he would live a long and happy life on the island with Deborah.

Epilogue

Turns out, Barrtock and Deborah were meant to be more than just friends. After many months of a strictly friend relationship, they knew they were each other’s soul mates. (If soul mates even exist for creatures like Barrtock and Deborah.) After three months of dating, they happily wed and are currently expecting their first baby creature. What a happy ending to the tale of a strange creature known as Barrtock.

Just a funny story I had to right for art class

JustEmily PLATINUM, Cicero, Indiana

That's HAWT!

Yeah it is pretty random. I had to draw a picture of a made-up creature and write a story about it. The story was supposed to be really laid back, like Barrtock, so grammar wasn't really a focus.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

This is kind of a random story.  Oh well, it's also kinda cute.  My only criticism:

"couldn't of" is incorrect.  It should be "couldn't have"

that's so cute! i love it! :) if you would i'd appreciate it if you commented on my story/ies as well! :) thnx