"In My Time of Dying" | Teen Ink

"In My Time of Dying"

January 28, 2011
By Raeee_ BRONZE, Westport, Massachusetts
Raeee_ BRONZE, Westport, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" ~Jimi Hendrix.


The old man got up from his bed slowly he wasn't sure what had wakened him but fear gripped his heart with it's cold fingers. His eyes shifted to the nightstand. The red numbers of the digital clock glowed in the darkness 6:66.

“What the h***...?” The hair on the back of his neck prickled. Suddenly he was terrified of being alone there in the dark.

That was when the window shattered. Shards of glass flew in every direction, he leaped back and covered his head. Then all was silent. Slowly he raised his head and, there bathed in moonlight standing in front of the broken window was a beautiful woman. Her black hair lifted eerily in the breeze. She smiled coldly.

“You really shouldn't call upon h***,”Her mockingly sweet voice dripped with venom. “Because sometimes... it answers you back,” Her eyes glowed an evil red, he bolted for the door. He was fast but she was by far faster. She seized him by the throat and slammed him hard against the wall.

“Its been a long time James...but did you honestly think I forgot about you? Did you really believe that you could get away without paying up? I did you a service...and services require payment,”
Her voice was silky and seductive. James shuddered.

Her hand was still at his throat but she loosened her hold and leaned close to him. It felt more like an embrace. He could feel the cold heat of her body. Her face was just inches from his, he could have kissed her if he wanted. He stared at her as if hypnotized. Her thick red lips parted and she whispered;

“I killed her... your pretty little wife. Madeline wasn't it? Mmmm...sweet little redhead? Ah, yes, she died screaming.”

“No, no don't tell me of her suffering,” James moaned. “Don't speak of it!”

“What? Don't like hearing that Jamie? Don't like the truth?” Her cold smile turned feral. “I only did it because you said so... Had it not been for you she would have lived a long happy life. I killed her so you could take her fortune....Just-like-you-asked! Now you owe me. Good people pay their debts James. Your time has run out. And its time for me to cash the check.”

“P-please, please don't. I made a mistake. I didn't know what I know now. I would give anything to have Madeline back again! Please you must have mercy!” He choked out panicked.
“Oh baby I barely know the meaning of the word...besides others will come for you if I don't take you now. And they won't be nearly as tolerant as I am. I suppose you could say I am being merciful,” She mused as if entertained by the thought.
“NO! NO! Please!,” His heart began pounding his breathing quickened. Her eyes were no longer red but they glittered with cruelty and anticipation. Anticipation for the kill.

“Sorry sweetheart I've gotta collect,” She grinned with a kind of sick glee. And in that one moment, James realized he knew what he wished he could have known thirty years earlier. He was staring into the face of real evil. It wasn't just some vague abstract concept. It couldn't be reasoned with it knew no bounds. He saw right past the mask of the pretty girl's face right into the heart of the beast.

That was the last thing he ever saw. Faster than a cobra strike her hands shot out and snapped his neck. She was gone before his lifeless body hit the floor. She had vanished. But her cruel laughter lingered behind, echoing through the night.


The author's comments:
Just a random story I wrote, It's about a guy who sold his soul